This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Waiting to restart.

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

This morning, unable to get the COGS machine to run properly with SuSE 8.1 Linux, I headed off to try to download the Xandros Linux free install disc. Then I discovered that I couldn't use the BitTorrent image because my router wasn't forwarding the appropriate ports, and found that it would cost me £6 to download the image via HTTP. smiley - sadface On a whim, I spent £44 on the "Professional" edition, with all the bells and whistles. The "interesting" T&C finally swung me - I can use it on *one* commercial/business PC (which is what I want it for) and *unlimited* home/leisure PCs! smiley - ok The download has turned out to be a bit of a bitch, but I finally got the first ISO about two hours ago. It only took me 6 hours. smiley - wah

By about 4pm I was in the process of organising a *major* defrag of this machine; I asked it to optimise the drive (using DiskKeeper 9.0 trial) and it warned me that "Proceeding will require a restart". OK, I thought; I finished what I was doing and clicked "Proceed".

I then got a dialogue box saying "Preparing to restart" or words to that effect, and a progress bar of asterisks. Except that after 20 (very slow) asterisks it went on to the next line... smiley - erm Six hours have gone past, and it's still going on with no indication of when it'll stop, and in the interim I can't start doing anything "important" in case it restarts in the middle. Bum. smiley - bluesmiley - geek

Other than that, there's really nothing going on. I plan to watch "The Farm" in about 20 minutes, but knowing my luck that'll be when the big "Restart and Defrag" happens; I'm using the computer as my TV for the moment, as my freeview tuner is off for repair. smiley - headhurts

Waiting to restart.

Post 2

martine_s

Apocalypse now, it gets worse and worse;

Mmmmmm..ac?

Waiting to restart.

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Update: It's getting on for 1:30am and it's still preparing to restart. smiley - headhurts

Waiting to restart.

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit wondering how much time a reinstall would take
"Can you find any way to see the progress? There must be something like top to please your curiosity. . ."

Waiting to restart.

Post 5

I can see that it's making progress, but there's no indication of when it will finish. smiley - sadface

Waiting to restart.

Post 6

2:30am, still waiting... smiley - yawn

I'm off to bed; I hope it's done by morning. smiley - sleepy

Waiting to restart.

Post 7

10:15am; just got up smiley - coffeesmiley - yawn; still waiting. smiley - blue

Waiting to restart.

Post 8

Traveller in Time smiley - tit counting hours
"Are you sure it is only some Yotta Byte disk space ?

This is the 'newly assembled system' with some Linux distribution ?
I would opt for breaking and starting all over again. There is definetely something wrong in the filesystem.

smiley - zen "

Waiting to restart.

Post 9

No, it's *this* machine, running Windows 2000 Professional. I'm installing DiskKeeper's "Frag Shield". smiley - geeksmiley - blue

Still waiting... smiley - wah

Waiting to restart.

Post 10

10:40pm, still waiting. smiley - yawn

Waiting to restart.

Post 11

Traveller in Time smiley - tit gladly spinning on 4G2 disks
"They only take an hour to checkup and defrag.

Are you sure the virusscanner is off ? As well as the auto repair functions by the operating system. "

Waiting to restart.

Post 12

It's expanding the MFT, and on the 160Gig drive that's taking a while. smiley - yawnsmiley - erm

Waiting to restart.

Post 13

Traveller in Time smiley - tit getting dizzy spinning
"Still the same while ? smiley - puff "

Waiting to restart.

Post 14

Yup. smiley - wah

Waiting to restart.

Post 15

martine_s

Sincere condolences Peet. Gripping stuff.

Waiting to restart.

Post 16

Thanks. Still waiting. smiley - brave

Waiting to restart.

Post 17

9:25am, Saturday 14th. Still no sign of a reboot. smiley - blue

Waiting to restart.

Post 18

5:40pm, still waiting. smiley - brave

Waiting to restart.

Post 19

martine_s

This is my first cyber-wake.

Waiting to restart.

Post 20

Traveller in Time smiley - tit counting down
"That would be about 600 000 Bytes per second processed. What was this program supposed to do with your system anyway?

Defragmentation, recovering of all deleted files and counting the improbability of ever useing a byte again ? "

Key: Complain about this post

Waiting to restart.

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more