This is the Message Centre for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Spaced out

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I spent half a day with Bob trying to log into the AOP webspace, to no avail. We double and triple checked the password, but it kept being rejected. This was the same problem that Bob and I had two weeks ago, the last time he came round.

We split a large lasagne, drank lots of smiley - coffee and tried various other techniques, inclusing prolonged stints attempting to connect using a laptop and dial-up.

Eventually, as Bob was packing up to head home, he tried sticking a space on the end of the password, because he remembered the original email had a space on the end too. It worked first time. smiley - headhurts

Bob hung around for another hour, and we got a little of the work we'd intended to do, done. smiley - brave There's a lot more to do tomorrow. smiley - sadface

Just now, I'm watching a Keanu Reeves / Morgan Freeman movie called "Chain Reaction". It's a mildly amusing spy/chase movie. smiley - ok

Spaced out

Post 2

martine_s

You old Pseud Peet, selling us the new technology and yet still pottering about with missing spaces... It has changed my whole mind-picture of you. Can you really be trusted...

Spaced out

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

My guess is that the guy who owns the site changed the password, then thought better of it and went to change it back to what it was originally. If you double-click the password in the original email, it highlights the word *plus* the trailing space for copying. smiley - geek

That may be unfair; there are other ways this space might have appeared without his intervention, but they're just *extremely* unlikely. smiley - weird

Spaced out

Post 4

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit waiting smiley - winkeye
"Use the space to login, or is the entire keyboard down today ? "

Spaced out

Post 5

He claims he didn't touch it. It's moot now that I know to add the space. smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more