A Conversation for Real Bread-making

Breadmakers

Post 1

shhhmichael

i stand by automatic breadmakers! while they undoubtably can't give quite as good as a hand baked loaf, they are a must for busy people who value good food. everyone should go out and buy one as soon as possible! smiley - smiley

Breadmakers

Post 2

jdjdjd

I agree - everyone should have one. A foodie friend called me a cheat for using one but was stumped when I asked when was the last time he'd made a loaf.

If you use the breadmaker for making the dough and then transfer to a tray or tin to prove for baking in the oven, the results are fantastic - much better than the machine alone, and nearly as easy.

Breadmakers

Post 3

Mag Ratte

I wouldn't use a breadmaker. If you don't hand mix the dough, you miss out on the kneading. Loaves can rise overnight in the fridge, if you're that keen on having fresh bread for breakfast.

Kneading dough can be a good outlet for stress, and is also good exercise for hands which stiffen or tend to claw up. OTOH, if you've got v little use of hands or shoulders, getting a machine to do the kneading & mixing is probably your only option.

I've also noticed that loaves made in breadmakers contain more sugar and become stale far more quickly than handmixed dough, risen a little more slowly.

Breadmakers

Post 4

andrewuk77

ive got a breadmaker - if you get bored of regular bread these people do some good things and have a free bread recipes database aswell http://www.bakingmad.com/ ...it is more fun doing it by hand but i just dont have time!! (my dads dad was a baker aswell so im not convinced he thinks much of the machine) smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more