Election 2000 Recap

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Winners: None yet.

Losers: The American people.

Election 2000 Recap

Post 2

The Corrupt One (MIA)

How horribly true. This is getting way out of hand, and I think that soon no one will really care who wins as long as this ends soon.

smiley - devil

Election 2000 Recap

Post 3

The interesting thing is, I didn't care who would win before election day. Now that we're through that, I just keep being presented with new reasons to loathe them both. I hope they manage to tie up the courts for a dozen years on this one, and we'll spend those years without a president. We spent the last 8 year without a president, and look where that got us... unprecedented prosperity. smiley - winkeye

Election 2000 Recap

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

You've got even more to lose --- see the 'special offer' on TC's place (http://www.h2g2.com/U154942).
And is it true that the U.S. is giving away some thousand Green Cards now for people who just prove to be able to count numbers from 1 to 100?

Election 2000 Recap

Post 5

Sandman

Gore is acting like a punk. Then again, what do you expect from a democrat?

Election 2000 Recap

Post 6

Democrats, Republicans, who can tell the difference anymore? They're all one party now, the Republicrats, and their party platform is "send me your money."

Handing out green cards? I don't know about that. Lack of green cards has never bothered too many anyway, as the population of the Southwest and Florida clearly shows. I did hear that one of the Republicrat branches was pushing some immigrants through the naturalization process so they could vote for their particular branch. Politics as usual in the land of the free...

The more that things change...

Post 7

Jimi X

The more they stay the same. smiley - winkeye

Check out http://www.h2g2.com/A477849 - Pennsylvania's Buckshot War.

Sometimes it pays to save your history notes from college. I knew this whole mess sounded familiar...

- X

Election 2000 Recap

Post 8

Bucky

I'm not sure why people keep saying the American people "lost" in this election. What exactly have we lost? Is it a loss to have been deprived of GW Bush's sanctimonious smirk while he holes up in his mansion and tries to act "presidential"? Is it a loss to see the other condescending smartass struggle to keep from pouting over losing a race after winning the election?

I just don't see the tragedy in any of this. What's wrong with a political election ending up with a political decision? Justice Stevens is completely right--the only loser is the delusion that the Supreme Court was ever above politics (as if there was something inherently evil or tainted about partisan politics).

Election 2000 Recap

Post 9

From a strictly economic perspective, the American people were stuck with the bill for all of those recounts and court sessions, so we lost money.

From an ideological perspective, we lost our innocence and naive comfort in the idea that we had a government that was somehow above all of this.

From a political perspective, we gave corporate America a bigger stake in the presidency, since they were the ones who provided the funds to hire the platoons of lawyers. They will expect a greater return on their investment... to the detriment of the American people.

From a social perspective, we earned the ridicule of the rest of the world... again.

How many more ways have we lost?

Election 2000 Recap

Post 10

Jimi X

Erm, don't forget ....

Nope, you're right. That about covers it. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more