A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Currency...in today's terms

Post 1

The Groob

This would be quite a large project I guess. I don't know if such a website/service exists already on the net. If H2 provided this source of information I would imagine it would get many hits.

What the entry would do is show years and amounts of money from the past and state what the amount would be in today's terms. (I'm not that knowledgeable on the matter but I gather that there is more than one way to convert amounts of money to the modern equivalent.)

The entry would show every year back to, say, 1800 and then every tenth year and then every fiftieth year etc. Ideally the entry would show how to convert the sum of £1 to its modern equivalent. Thus any amount would be easily convertible.

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I believe I've seen a website that does that, but I've no idea where it is.

Post 3

SEF

The Retail Price Index does some of that.

Post 4

coelacanth

When I wanted to do this to explain something in a lesson to my students I put a question in Ask and was given a link to an American site. I wanted to find out what $10 in 1972 would be worth in ££s today. On the site I translated the $10 into todays money and then put the amount into the XE currency converter for the ££.

If I can find the conversation... smiley - run
smiley - bluefish

Post 5

coelacanth

Here's the conversation:
F19585?thread=181190

My memory was faulty. It was $30 in 1970, which turned out to be about $139 in 2001, or £96.

Here are the links I was given.
The USA inflation calculator: http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Currency converter: http://www.xe.com/ucc/
smiley - bluefish

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more