A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

Challenge: Thou!

Post 1

Malabarista - now with added pony

So many people use "thou" wrong - and especially the verb conjugations that go with it. Happens a lot in "medieval-ish" writing in comics and books, or when people are trying to write "eleventh commandments" and things like that. And few realise it's actually the *informal* mode of address...

Not sure I'm up to writing an entry all by myself, but if anyone would write something I could point people to I'd be grateful... I'd be willing to collaborate, too smiley - winkeye

Post 2

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

I thought 'thou' was used when speaking to a social inferior, rather than being informal as such - at least that's what I think I remember from studying Shakespeare. I guess there is an informality in speaking to servants etc as opposed to the formality of court, but I don't think it's quite the same as "tu" and "vous" in French in terms of the informal/formal distinction.

Post 3

Malabarista - now with added pony

Nearly the same, yes - like "Du" and "Sie" in German - the formal is a plural, except that "Sie" is "they" rather than "you" smiley - winkeye Or like "jij" and "U" in Dutch.

"Thou" is also correctly used between equals in a less formal setting.

In German, servants used to be addressed as "he" or "she", even when speaking directly to them smiley - silly

Key: Complain about this post