A Conversation for Challenge h2g2

UK Counties & Regions - England - Derbyshire

Post 1

Paully

Derbyshire - home to the beautiful Peak District. Anyone who lives in Derbyshire or was brought up there who'd like to let us know more about the delights of this county? smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 2

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Hang on, there's already lots of entries on Derbyshire- I've written at least five me sen.

smiley - ale

Post 3

Seven, in fact. Do we really need to be pushing for a general entry on the county? It's hardly a big gap, is it?

smiley - ale

Post 4

Paully

Oh yes indeed - but not one about the county itself. Just like our lovely US-based researchers have done entries describing their individual States, we thought it was about time that we celebrated the Counties and regions of the UK too!

In fact, the more entries that have already been written about the towns, cities and peculiar features of a county, the easier it should be for someone to write a general new Entry about the entire county! smiley - ok

Paully

Post 5

Paully

Yes we do - it's a huge gap in ALL of our counties, something that would be a really useful resource for other people to link to in their own writing (ie, person X was born in County Y in 1928, etc).

Paully

Post 6

Hmm, I guess so. Why not allow links to C pages, though?

smiley - ale

Post 7

Paully

Cause it'd be really nice to have a big juicy project like this that we can get a big batch of researchers all working on together! smiley - smiley

P

Post 8

Fair enough.

I'm not volunteering to do the entry, mind, but here's a fact for you: Derby is the palce where the last pressing to death for witchcraft took place. The woman in question was placed in the press and ordered to confess her sins: she didn't, and after her death it was discovered that she could not have done anyway; she was mute, and had no tongue.

smiley - ale

Post 9

Paully

Ah, you gotta love them trials by ordeal, dontcha?!

Post 10

Oh, and while I'm at it:

The standard local description of a Derbyshire native is:

"Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred; strong wi' the arm and wick in the 'ead".

Note that's 'wick' not 'weak', wick is a local word for 'quick', no matter what those bxstxrds on the wrong side of the brook tell you.

smiley - ale

Post 11

Wonderful history, Derby. It's the furthest south Bonny Prince Charlie got, too. Legend has it he and his army got to the Seven Stars Inn, on the outskirts of town. They all got so drunk there that when they came out they marched back in the wrong direction.

smiley - ale

Post 12

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

The version I know has 'strong in t'arm and thick in t'head'; and I've also seen it applied to Yorkshire. (Perhaps they stole it.)

I _am_ Derbyshire born and Derbyshire bred, but hopefully don't fit the description. smiley - erm

Post 13

Re: Bonnie Prince Charlie, there's a statue near where the Police Station used to be:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/derby/content/ecards/derby_charlie_ecard.shtml
http://www.derbyshireuk.net/stuart.html

Post 14

Yep, behind the oldest pub in the City, The Dolphin.

There's a statue of Florence Nightingale by the DRI too- she was from Derby. So was Erathumus Darwin, Charles Darwin's father. And that bloke that's in My Family is from Ilkeston.

smiley - ale

Post 15

Well Dressing. Hmm, many moons ago I said I'd write an entry on well dressing- that would tie in nicely with a Derbyshire entry, as Derbyshire's the only place it's practiced.

smiley - ale

Post 16

scorp

I'd like to put my two penn'orth in here!

Derbyshire is a county bordered by: Cheshire in the North West, Yorkshire to the North, Nottinghamshire to the East, Staffordshire to the West and Leicester to the South. It is approximately 52 miles from North to South and for most of its length is only about 20 miles East to West. It covers an area approximately 1016 Sq Miles.

The Peak District National Park was the first area in the country to be Designated as a National Park in 1951. More when I've had chance to rummage through my Daughter's old 'A' level projects on Derbyshire Peak etc.,

Derby is the County Town; but there are other largish towns like Ilkeston, Heanor, Ripley, Alfreton, Matlock, Buxton and Long Eaton (this last is actually in Derbyshire; although postally in Nottinghamshire.

Post 17

Paully

Lots of good stuff there! Keep it coming! smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 18

Mol - on the new tablet

smiley - book

Post 19

scorp

As I'm not good enough to write too much personally, I will add a few links - why don't mine come out blue and underlined? (if it works) which will give loads of information; and I can add to it, if it is of any use. Please advise!!

www.derbygaol.com

www.peakleisure.co.uk (info on well dressings)

www.derbycity.com/derby/famous.html (info on famous Derbyshire people, like perhaps Sir Isaac Newton etc.

www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/bolsover.htm (info on castles)

www.cressbrook.co.uk/walks/cave.html (about potholing and caving)

www.cressbrook.co.uk/eyam/ (obvious?)

Let me know what else I can do to help anyone!

Post 20

The reason the URLs aren't being converted into links is that you've left out the http:// bit.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more