A Conversation for New Zealand

Update Forum: A20180369 - New Zealand - Update

Post 1

U168592

Entry: New Zealand - Update - A20180369
Author: Matt - U168592

I've updated the Entry on New Zealand A165601

This was due in the main to the fact that nearly all the h2g2 links in it were dead or unedited. Then I found loads of other New Zealand Entries worht adding to it. And I cleared up some of the contentious stuff. And loads of other things to bring it up to scratch. I think. I hope.

The only problem I had was crediting the original author Eck, as I can't seem to get them onto the Researchers bit. I've given them an original Entry credit though.

A20180369 - New Zealand - Update

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Matt! Thanks for doing this.

But since Eck wrote the original, you'll have to give him equal credit for the new version, which is based on his one. Add him to the researcher list, and he'll be listed as author, you'll be listed as "edited by". But when it is edited, you'll both get credit together. He'll be listed first, because his U number is before yours.

Post 3

U168592

That's the thing though Gnomon, I've tried adding his number to the Set Researcher box, and it just doesn't accept it. smiley - sadface

Post 4

U168592

If you take a look at his (or hers...) Personal Space U34825 it's like it's just been cancelled. Nothing there at all. That's why I did the Original Entry credit.

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Yes, it certainly looks as if Eck's account U34825 was cancelled. I edited the entry, and clicked the Set Researchers button in the hope that it might enlighten me, and Eck's name was removed from the entry. I can't put it back again. It is now listed as "Edited by Kate", without any author! Since whoever Eck was, he or she is long gone from h2g2, I suppose the only thing we can do is to leave it as it is and make you the sole author when the time comes.

Post 6

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"Looks like 'Eck' never got around writing a Personal Space entry or Signing up to HooToo (in the Single Sign On system).
Like messageboard members there is no entry for the Personal Space.

Proof they existed: < F5896?thread=3422&post=5410#p5410 > "

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

It's not as simple as thatm, TiT. You'll notice that Eck's nickname appears on that Posting, but if you click on the name, you get brought to a page which shows Eck has no nickname. And before I removed him from the Entry, he was listed as author of the entry, but the entry didn't appear on his personal page.

Post 8

Traveller in Time smiley - tit confirming
"See Nighthoover, same situation.

'Eck' probably emailed the Entry so no original entry visible. "

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

I tried to add Nighthoover as author of the entry, and I couldn't do that either. So it may be that you can't add authors who never registered under the BBC Single Sign On system. That's certainly something I didn't know.

Post 10

U168592

Curiouser and curiouser...

Will the Original Entry credit work with U Number and name though? That way they are getting credit of sorts, just not in the Written by section, which is a shame smiley - sadface

Perhaps Jim Lynn might be able to shed some light on what could be done, if anything. smiley - huh

Anyway, I've left a note at the Kiwi Researchers group about the Update so there may be more to come in it, but from my point of view I think I'm done smiley - smiley

Post 11

Traveller in Time smiley - tit tested with Nighthoover
"Eck should work fine. "

Post 12

U168592

Ah, I used the DNA ID GuideML, if it needs to be changed to BIO GuideML I can do that, let me know.

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

You did it correctly, Matt. The DNAID is the correct one to use in CREDITS tags.

Post 14

Traveller in Time smiley - tit testing
"DNAID NAME H2G2 or BIO as long as you do not use the autoname function there seems to be no other problems.

NB dropped the message at Technical Feedback. "

Post 15

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - ghostsmiley - ufo

Post 16

U168592

Any remarks on the actual content of the Update, rather than the problem with crediting?

Post 17

Gnomon - time to move on

Sorry, I haven't got around to looking at it yet.

Post 18

U168592

smiley - ok

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

I'll try and look at it about 2 hours from now (lunchtime).

Post 20

Gnomon - time to move on

You call them The North Island and The South Island. I don't think the word "the" should be capitalised here.

The claim that New Zealand is as far from Australia as London from Moscow is not true. London to Moscow is 1,550 miles. New Zealand to Australia is 1,040. So it's only about 2/3 the distance, although parts of New Zealand are certainly more than 1550 miles from Australia. You could say that London is as far from Algeria as Australia is from New Zealand. That would probably be impressive as well as accurate.

The South Island is slightly bigger than the North Island, but South Islanders often refer to themselves as 'Mainlanders'
-- I don't think it should be "but" in that sentence. It should be "so".

In fact, if the truth be told -- I think this sounds odd since you are talking about a myth. I'd say "In fact, according to the myth"

about 1000 years --> about 1,000 years

the newcomers staggering generosity --> the newcomers' staggering generosity

popularly advertised as New Zealand's founding document was signed -- insert comma after document

a bunch of kiwi sailor's -- remove the apostrophe. You've used a capital k for Kiwi in other places. I think you should here as well.

Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy were filmed there -- was filmed

smiley - smiley G

Key: Complain about this post