A Conversation for What To Do If Stranded In Shrewsbury

Abbey Foregate

Post 1

jane

Hello. I was born in a Mother and baby home in Abbey Foregate in November 1950. Does anyone know where this area might be? Best wishes and thanks.smiley - smiley

Abbey Foregate

Post 2

Vip

I am afraid I havve only lived here a few years and don't know of the place you mean If I here of anything I will post here to let you know.

My best of luck in your investigations.

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 3

dairymade

Abbey Foregate is, as the name suggests, the road that runs alongside Shrewsbury Abbey. It's a fairly long street. You'll see it on Google maps no doubt. I don't know where the mother & baby home was - before my time - but I'm sure you could find out....don't know where though....

Abbey Foregate

Post 4

Vip

With apologies for the length of this link:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=abbey+foregate,+shrewsbury&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Abbey+Foregate,+Shrewsbury,+Shropshire+SY2&gl=uk&ei=7yxKS-f2MaD40wTZtuHwAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

I hope this helps. As I stated before I have not heard of the Mother and Baby home, but I mis-read your post and didn't realise that you wanted some help with the location of the street as well. Sorry!

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 5

redway21

You may have been born at the Shrewsbury Refuge, Shelter and Hostel at Chaddeslode, Abbey Foregate. Abbey Foregate is a road which leads out of Shrewsbury from the English Bridge as far as the Shirehall and Lord Hill's Column.

Abbey Foregate

Post 6

Vip

Thanks for yuor contribution, redway. smiley - smiley Are you local to Shrewsbury?

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 7

jane

Thankyou. I do rememer now the name Chaddeslode being mentioned. In deed i think you are right. Could i think of Shrewsbury being my home town even though i left there when a baby and was adopted in Wolverhampton and my mum was from Sussex!

Abbey Foregate

Post 8

Vip

I was born in Bedford but I've never even been to the place since! I can't see why not!

If you ever find yourself up this way I'll see if I could spend a few hours to give you a tour. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 9

jane

Hi there. I hope to come up fairly soon.My Husband also went to Shrewsbury School.I would love the tour if you feel like doing it....Thanks.

Abbey Foregate

Post 10

Vip

Pop a message here or at my Space (click on my name to get there and then 'Discuss This Entry' to leave a message). I can't promise to be available but if I am, I'd be happy to.

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 11

Maxine Doyle

The Home you are looking for is Chaddeslode House, 130 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury. I was there in 1966 and my baby was born in Crosshouses Hospital, and then adopted. The house is still there, but is now used as an NHS mental health day centre.

Abbey Foregate

Post 12

Maxine Doyle

Jane,
You would probably have been born at Crosshouses or Much Wenlock Hospital as those were the two that Chaddeslode used. Good Luck. Maxine

Abbey Foregate

Post 13

Vip

Wow. smiley - biggrin Many thanks for signing up to tell us that, Maxine. smiley - smiley

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 14

jane

Thankyou so much for the information. I feel alot better now and hope to visit Shrewsbury again. I am now a carer for my son and dont get much free time but i do hope to come back. I was brought up in Willenhall inthe Black Country of Staffordshire and wa happy there but now i live in Cardiff and not sure where i belong anymore!!

Abbey Foregate

Post 15

Vip

Lovely to hear from you again. It's always nice when people come back after a time away.

I've moved around a few places in England, and I always felt that 'home' was where ever I hung my hat (I do actually have a hat these days, even if I hang it from the bannister rather than a proper hook, but I digress...).

smiley - fairy

Abbey Foregate

Post 16

Astro

Hi, my birth mother Glenis Emmaline Jones was also at Chadeslode House, 130 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury. I was born in 1955 in the Lady Forrester Hospital at Much Wenlock and later adopted.
I'm now trying to trace my birth mother...

Key: Complain about this post