A Conversation for The Forum

What makes a disease serious enough to consider a termination of pregancy?

Post 41

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

There are so many considerations as you stated Z.
I think it is important to be aware of the infinite possibilities.

I think the conditions are not as releavant as the care, the parents health, ability and attitudes and emotional make-up. There are too many different people situations involved to draw one line for all persons.

Even hard to draw a line for one person in all the circumstances they find themselves in. Just the timing can change everything for some.
To others, timing, finances, number of other children could have nothing to do with their decision.

Post 42

badger party tony party green party

"I was wondering which of these diseases would be serious enough to make you consider terminating a pregnancy if your baby had them?

smiley - star One where the baby will die a few days after birth? (Such as Edwards Syndrome)

smiley - star One where the child will have serious learning difficulties and not be able to live independently (Such as Down's Syndrome)

smiley - starOne where the child wil have major heart surgery a few days after birth, there's a serious risk of death from the surgery, but if they survive they'll be able to live a healthy life until at least their 40s (Say transposition of the Great Arteries)

smiley - star One where the child will need physiotherapy every day, regular hospital admissions, get lots of infections, not be able to keep up with their friends. But they'll be mentally normal and probably live until their 30s (such as Cystic Fibrosis)

smiley - star One where they'll have a facial dysfigurement but will otherwise be normal.

smiley - star One where they'll be short say about three foot tall, but otherwise normal (such as Achonrdoplasia)smiley - book

Well none of them.

Im never going to carry a baby save for if there are major advances in medical science then Id probably end up signing-up to be partt of a medical tests as part of a drunken bet. Two years of waiting for my hair to grow back is nothing to nine months of pregnancy...probablysmiley - winkeye

Seriously though if any woman I knew seemed convinced that her needs for a termination were important enough and atleast gave some time to think about other options and other people involved then Id back her 100%

Its sad but true that even the last two which seem to be largely about vanity and worrying about the kind of bullying that nearly all children will experience at one time or another will have a massive impact on some parents. What's sad is that in such cases the experiences for the child and by proxy the parents might broaden the views of the parents but theres a chance that the parents wont be enlightened by the experience and even shu the child somewhat themselves.

Its not up to us to play the bigG and tell people why they must have babies or indeed why they must not as men and even as *other* women.

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 43

pixel

Which of these would make me consider termination?
Probably all except the last one.
I won't and can't even guess what i would decide in the end as until you live it you don't know how you will feel.
You have to consider not only the quality of life of any child born in these circumstances but the ability of the parents to cope.
Those who say they have no doubts and would love and raise a child regardless of how short or painful a life it would endure have my utmost admiration.
I just don't think i'm one of you.
Especially the idea of carrying to term a child who would live only a matter of days ~ i know i could never have the emotional stability and strength to deal with that.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more