This is the Message Centre for Big Red

Fave films of 2003

Post 1

Big Red

These are the ones I really liked, in the order I saw them:

"About Schmidt": It was so great to see Jack Nicholson being understated, and Kathy Bates is always terrific, as is Hope Davis. Funny and sweet, surprisingly moving.

"The Pianist": Beautifully understated, sad, grim, satisfying ending.

"Lost in Translation": Sofia Coppola does it again. She and estranged husband Spike Jonze are surely two of the most talented young directors around. Bill Murray has made a stunning transition from his witless 1980s comedies with his work here and in Wes Anderson's "Rushmore" (which I also loved, by the way).

"The Secret Lives of Dentists": A tense, real, funny look at a troubled marriage that ultimately makes it through. More excellence from Hope Davis.

"Mystic River": Wow. What power. I appreciated that Clint Eastwood was comfortable with the moral ambiguity and didn't need to tell us how we should feel (a la "Unforgiven"?). Where even to start with the great acting? And the ending was terrific.

"The Station Agent": A sweet, funny perfect little movie that never makes a false step and gave more work to the very talented young Raven Goodwin, last seen (by me, at least) in the also great "Lovely and Amazing."

"The Return of the King": I can't be objective here, because I'm such a Tolkein fan, but this was a terrific capper to the trilogy. I've almost forgiven them now for changing Faramir's character so much, but I still wish Peter Jackson had found room for Faramir and Eowyn's love story. Maybe on the extended DVD? I think Jackson should tackle "The Once and Future King" next, and really do the King Arthur story right for the first time.

I was in the middle on these next two, not quite putting them in my fave category:

"Talk to Her"

"21 Grams": Some great acting but someone the whole didn't add up to the sum of its parts.

Good but not great:

"Antwone Fisher"

"Seabiscuit"

"Dirty Pretty Things": Was it just my imagination, or was Audrey Tatou not very good? Maybe she was uncomfortable acting in English.

"School of Rock": OK, it was cute, but Jack Black really needs to do something else now that's as good as "Hi Fidelity"

"Something's Gotta Give": Had about five places to end before it did. No way I'd give up Keanu Reeves for Jack Nicholson!

"Bend it Like Beckham": Formulaic but fun. My favorite line: "But why did that Englishwoman take Jessmina's shoes?"

"Pirates of the Caribbean": OK, I really saw this one just last month on DVD, but thought I'd throw it in anyway. It was a hoot. Johnny Depp chews the scenery as a swishy pirate. He continues to make interesting choices as a leading man-type who prefers to be a character actor. But someone please give Orlando Bloom a 21st-century role now!

Purely putrid:

"Matrix Reloaded": Biggest disappointment of the year. So bad we didn't bother with "Matrix Revolutions." And this is from someone who had to watch "The Matrix" every few months, and insisted on screening it for anyone who hadn't seen it! The worst part is, the awfulness of the sequels has tainted even the magnificent first one for me.

Fave films of 2003

Post 2

tartaronne

smiley - bigeyes

Good to become inspired. smiley - smiley

Fave films of 2003

Post 3

Big Red

Finally broke down and saw "Matrix Revolutions" on DVD, and I must say it didn't stink as badly as "Matrix Reloaded." Maybe it was just because my expectations were so low this time? Anyway, I'd call it fair. Worth watching if you loved the first one and made it through the second.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Big Red

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more