A Conversation for Heaternet

apple talk

Post 1

Jonboy

What isn't faster than apple talk?

apple talk

Post 2

wingpig

God knows. These people have access to far too many bits of technology with the result that they inevitably become extremely dissatisfied and snide about at least one of them. It's nice to see someone slagging Macs, though, seeing as these high-end people usually slag the humble and penniless PC user, with their Macintosh '87 posters and comments along the lines of 'you should switch to Linux' and 'two-button mice? What are they?"
I think Appletalk is the protocol/bunch of wirey bits with which macs talk to their printers, external drives, fancy shiny add-on bits of stuff and any small portable Apple devices the rich Apple user might wish to connect to his desktop unit. Read one of DNA's articles on gadgetry at douglasadams.com - it mentions crawling around under desks with plugs and knobs and imaginary cabling types in order to get something expensive and unnecessary to work.

Maybe I've got the wrong end of the thing here - maybe you like appletalk and are asking what there might possibly be in the world that is superior to it?

apple talk

Post 3

Jonboy

I have nothing against macintoshes, but apple talk is kinda lame. I have an avid mac user friend who hates apple talk. I have another friend who uses a mac on an apple talk network at his workplace. The network goes down constantly. Why would you use apple talk when you could use a more reliable protocol such as tcp/ip (which you need for internet access anyway). I run linux (and only linux). I considered buying a macintosh but they were very much out of my price range. And no, I don't go around telling everyone to switch to linux. In its current state, linux is not for everyone.

apple talk

Post 4

The Cow

Surely it should be HeaterNet, not Heaternet

apple talk

Post 5

Anonymouse

Perhaps PipeNet, since it seems to work as well on rusty old water pipes as well. smiley - winkeye

'Nonniesmiley - rose

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Heaternet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more