This is the Message Centre for MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

So where have I been? (II)

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

In a land of confusion, smiley - headhurts, smiley - injured, smiley - ill and smiley - boingsmiley - somersaultsmiley - divasmiley - disco sort of place... Are you smiley - huh now? So was I, and to a degree, I am still....

As mentioned in my previous entry, I had a good festival, although with no fiddle playing smiley - blue due to tennis elbow smiley - wah! Well, the last vestige of that didn’t depart until last week, so it is only now that I can use my right hand for smiley - biro with any degree of normality. smiley - boingsmiley - boing It has restricted both work and play, especially as my work involves a great deal of PC work. I must admit I have become quite adept at typing left handed!!! smiley - laugh

During September I worked a number of extra days in September, as I’d taken days a number of days off earlier in the year, so quite a full-on month with little spare time. Luckily I also had days owing so I grabbed five days off from the 19th of October for a little R & R smiley - zzz in Broadstairs, at my Dad’s. It would give me more opportunities to get more photos for my, smiley - zzzsmiley - footprintssmiley - ghost Uni project, that is taking forever, as it keeps growing!!! Unfortunately the weather conspired against me, and was very smiley - puff and smiley - sigh. I still managed some decent ones, but with very oppressive, overcast skies. It was still a good break except for one event. I managed to take a tumble, crack my head open, break my nose and possibly knock myself out. I came to with my Dad standing over me saying ‘What the smiley - bleep have you done?’ while I was clasping a bloody hand to the crown of my head. Luckily Dad grabbed a smiley - towel and held it on my head. smiley - goodluck, like all head wounds it soon stopped bleeding, but made a mess of the floor, and even more of a mess of the smiley - towel. I still don’t know what happened, or how I came to cut my head. Must have been the door handle, but that seemed impossible. The nose took three weeks to settle, but it appears only the septum, rather than the bone, was damaged. So my looks weren’t improved any. smiley - sorry to disappoint. Anyway, nose apart, I was right as rain the next day, except from an annoying scab in my hair. My head is, as my German teacher said after breaking a ruler on it, made of concrete!!! smiley - laugh
I then returned home , with a nice steady flow of gigs to look forward to, and a party to organise. Imagine my annoyance when I took another tumble. This time caused by some workmen doing repairs to the pavement outside my local... and I did it heading for the Pub, smiley - erm not returning... They had been cutting paving slabs and the carborundum spray was on the kerb and I slipped, crashing onto terra firma. Exit one pair of trousers, enter one bruised knee and a bruised thumb base! smiley - grrsmiley - steam. I had to laugh, though, as it must have been a real sight seeing me trying to stand up. I must have looked like a turtle on his back! I certainly needed a after that!!! Unfortunately if I fall over now, without a physical means of support, I cannot get back on my feet, but more on that later...
I’m pleased to say the repercussions were more bruising and embarrassment more than anything else.
Come the week beginning 1st November, I had another week’s holiday. This was spent largely cleaning my flat, ready for my Cousin and her new partner to stay for my birthday bash. They had come down for a day, earlier in the month, so I could meet him, and also tell her what my impressions of him where, as she knew I’d be honest. Luckily we got on very well, and spent a lengthy day walking Kew Gardens before a well-earned smiley - ale and a bite. Anyway, the flat got a good Autumn, although smiley - zzz, clean. smiley - bleep this incapacity. Everything takes so long, with some things being almost impossible. Enough, it was done to a reasonable standard. My old bike, that I’d always intended doing up, went to the Eco-Scroungers who have set up a squat (they call it an ‘Eco-Village) on the waste ground opposite. At least they use it. I also put up a spare bookcase, so my excess smiley - booksmiley - book no longer litter the floor! smiley - laugh and I get my dining table back!
I also had to visit another smiley - doctor at the smiley - bluelight. smiley - goodluck no invasive tests, just a general study and overview.

And the verdict? I have lower body muscle wastage, incorporating ‘Core Muscle Myopathy’ with, possibly, genetic Muscular Dystrophy, type unknown. It is getting gradually worse, but slowly. I said I would say what it was when I knew, but that is all I know... Future effects and outcome is unknown, as is the name of it, but I am now registered disabled!!! smiley - laugh Not that I’ll admit it!!! smiley - rofl

So there it is!

The next chapter regarding the Birthday Bash is to follow, as my arm is aching now, but I hope to get back to entry writing again, now both wings are flapping!!!

smiley - cheers

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

AlsoRan80

Very dear MMF. big smiley - hug

Oh I am soooo sorry. And you are so young. But of course, if you can bear it, there is always the recourse to a wheelchair. I do know that mine has given me such extra freedom, but of course it depends where you live. In the previous town where I lived people never used to talk to me in a wheelchair - only to the person pushing it. I used to swan off in a fury, But probably if you cope with ab electric one you would be alright.

Gosh you are wonderful to have coped with that muscular dystrophy for so long. I hope your dad is more sympathetic.

Anyway my thoughts are with you and I wish you well.

Take care of your self.

Christiane
Also ran80

Sunday 13/XII/09 6.41 GMT

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

If I remember correctly, that's what they thought you had when you first went to the hospital - how many, two? three? - years ago.
I've looked it up, and they don't seem to know how to treat it. smiley - erm

Did the doctors give you any advice?

Very sorry to hear you injured yourself so badly. smiley - hug

I hope you're as fine as can be now. smiley - cheerup

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - hugMMF thanks for the updatesmiley - smooch

Being "registered" is good smiley - smiley make sure you claim all the benefits you are entitled to, including carer's allowance (even though you live alone, my mother claims this for herself and pays people to do stuff for her with it)

smiley - goodluck with the bureaucracysmiley - headhurts

Post 5

dragonqueen - eternally free and forever untamed - insomniac extraordinaire - proprietrix of a bullwhip, badger button and (partly) of a thoroughly used sub with a purple collar. Matron of Honour.

*smiley - dragon leaves an ice hockey goal keeper suit on the floor*

Don't stumble upon it, wear it! I think you've had your share of bruises, scrapings and such for a while now.

Take care, mate.

smiley - hugsmiley - kiss

smiley - dragon

Post 6

Websailor

So sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but at least now you know, and others too, which should make life a bit easier. I agree with GB, go for everything you can, you have earned it.

All you can do is take one day at a time and not give in, which is unlikely smiley - smiley

smiley - goodluck with it all, smiley - hug

Websailor smiley - dragon

Post 7

You can call me TC

My sons, all being boys, were tested for muscular dystrophy at birth. I don't think that they had a cure for it then, so I'm not sure what point there was in doing the test.

You'd think they would have got a bit further with the research by now.

Post 8

You can call me TC

And smiley - cheers All the best to you, MMF - really glad to see you back.

Post 9

Thanks Folks, for your suppprt and kind wishes.

The MD tests were to find out why I was gradually getting less and less mobile.

15 years ago I was told it was because I was smiley - zzz and lazy... this despite 25 years of cycling everywhere, including 7 years covering twenty miles a day! The other possible suspicion was alcohol damage which can also cause muscle wastage, as can be seen with some chronic alcoholics.
smiley - goodluck both of these have been removed from the equation.

The actual cause, and name of the problem, is still unknown and, without further tests, will remain so. However those tests are expensive, so I am unsure whether they will get performed.

All I do know, for certain, is it will not disappear, and it will get worse. smiley - goodluck it is progressing slowly, and only appears to be affecting the lower part of my body so far.

I am not in denial as to what is happening, and accept it, but at the same time I don't dwell on it and shall only refer to it when adverse things happen... such as headbutting door handles! smiley - rofl

I should really get back to entry writing, which is my aim after the new year. Need something to do with redundancy looming! But that's another volume awaiting writing! smiley - laugh

smiley - cheers

A smiley - boing MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 10

Moving On

>>However those tests are expensive, so I am unsure whether they will get performed<<

Expense be hanged - ensure they're done mate. This your your health and well being we're talking about,and you've more than paid your share of National Insurance contributions

so don't take no for an answer, ok?
smiley - hug

(And don't accept "well, maybe, eithersmiley - winkeye)

btw... welcome to the elite club of registered disabled. If you can survive all that rigmarole and not sink you're officially indestructable.

Post 11

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Oo we're an 'elete club' now? smiley - coolsmiley - winkeye
I can't quite remember, but think there wasn't a 'treatment' as such for MD last time I was looking at such things smiley - cuddle : however, its like many such conditions/diseases; yes, its progresssive, and yes it'll eventually get worse, but the rate of progression can vary wildly from month to month, letalone year to year... so whilst it might suddenly take a dive and get a whole bunch worse (which it soudns likefor you it has over recent months/years, it can then sometimes go into effecitvely remission for a simualr or longer period of time smiley - zensmiley - grovel ) smiley - zensmiley - scientist
I remember oo must have veen two decades ago now when my uncle who'd had MS for like forever, suddenly went downhill a big long way... but actually hasn't got that* much more worse in the following twenty years... Not much consulation for a guy who used to be pretty damn active, but at least it has settled down for a bit long may it conintue to do so smiley - grovelsmiley - goodluck
And can't remember If I ever got round to E-mailing you to say 'sorry' for myself and Roymondo being so crap in getting too pissed to make it to your birthday smiley - dohsmiley - blush That was really very poor form by both myself and roymondo... even from our useually low starting poitn we managed to do even worse than useual smiley - blushsmiley - goodlucksmiley - hug

Post 12

AlsoRan80

Hi MMF.

I was looking at my Friends List and came across your very special name. I hope that you are feeling a bit better and happier. You have so much to offer and I really think that you should start writing again. I am going to send you an email so that in the New Year you may perhaps feel well enough to come down and visit mel K. is coming back for Christmas.

With much affection and keep up with your courageous approach to life and its vicissitudes. You are a very special person.

Christiane
AR80

Thursday 17th December 2009 8.50 GMT

Post 13

Teuchter

Sometimes it feels better to be able to put a name to something - even if the diagnosis wasn't one you wanted to hear.
I hope the progress is ve-r-r-y, v-e-r-r-y s-l-o-w smiley - cuddle

Must get that walk round Kew done when the weather improves!

Post 14

Folks, thanks.

One thing 'it' doesn't do is get me down... it is a challenge, not a problem.

I can still get around quite reasonably, on the flat, although gradients can be trying at times, and steps with no handrail are a real frustration!

I had to smiley - laugh. A couple of weeks ago I came back from a gig, and was heading towards the Underground at Victoria Station, London.
For some reason I didn't go through the main gate but went through the side gate instead. No real problem there, except there were two steps up to the walkway that crosses the tracks. No handrail smiley - huh and tiled walls! smiley - wah Stuck. I had to drop my bag and fiddle to the floor, ease my arm around the corner to get hold of that handrail and pull myself around, all this while others were dashing for the last train. Frustrating but funny. Thankfully I caught it. It certainly won't defeat me.

And, Teuchter, Kew is always on the cards, and Wilma would like to come as well, if it can be sorted... I'll see what specials are organised for the coming year.

Thanks again, everyone, for your support.

In the words of the song: 'Things can only get better'. smiley - smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewktFIb4V-Y

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Post 15

Malabarista - now with added pony

Take care of yourself, Mazin, and don't overdo it! You're always so busy smiley - laugh

Post 16

You can call me TC

A walk in Kew with three lovely people - Teuchter, Wilma and Mazin. Do I smell Spring in the air? Spring meet?

Post 17

AlsoRan80

Dear MMF,

Ever such a happy and blessed Christmas to you. And everything of the best for the New Year, and your health. Keep your wonderful spirit.

With affection

Christiane and keith.
22/XII/09 13.15 GNT

Post 18

Teuchter

Hope you're coping with all this white stuff on the pavements, MMF smiley - smooch

Key: Complain about this post