This is the Message Centre for Icy North

Icy Naj 16/1 - Captions Required

Post 1

Icy North

Welcome to Naj 2016!

A few years ago I managed to post a new quiz every day throughout November. I’m not sure I’ll achieve that this time, but I have a few in progress.

Today, as a bit of an icebreaker, I’ll direct you to a caption competition in The h2g2 Post, which would really benefit from wider participation. I sent a few pictures in recently, and bless me if our Editor didn’t publish them all in the same issue - I thought he might save some for a rainy day. Anyway, it means that for this week only, you can take your pick from:

A87879703 - Strange goings-on up on the roof of a fish & chip shop

A87879730 - Sea monsters playing chess

A87879938 - A witch turned into a tree?

Just post your caption suggestions on the conversations linked to those pages.

If you’re not a regular Post reader, you may not know that Dmitri publishes a caption competition every week. Prof Animal Chaos is the most regular captioner, and he’s pretty difficult to beat.

And if you fancy submitting a weird or wonderful photo for Dmitri to use, I’m sure he’d be only too grateful to hear from you.

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Icy, if you ensure that the "A numbers" are not the first thing on the line, then they will magically turn into links in Pliny as well as in the older skins.

Post 3

Icy North

I didn't know that - thanks smiley - ok

Will any white space do, or a smiley, or do I need text before them?

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Seconding the request that you send your captionable photos to postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com. smiley - biggrin We love 'em!

So far, several people have sent theirs in - SashaQ and Willem will be coming up in the weeks ahead.

The Hoggetts over at the farm love to read the captions h2g2ers have written for their horse, cats, dogs, chickens and goats. smiley - winkeye

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Will any white space do? I don't know. I usually just put the word Entry followed by the A number.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The "witch turned into a tree" makes me think of a scene form "Wizard of Oz" in which some angry trees throw apples at Dorothy and her friends.

There's also a group of angry trees in "Disney's "Babes in Toyland."

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Icy North

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more