A Conversation for Talking Point: One Minute Rants

Girls dieting when they don't need to.

Post 1

GraceK

I'm saying girls because I don't think grown up women should be so pointless. I’m not talking about those that suffer from anorexia (or the other food related illnesses). Or people who are *actually* over weight - then going on a diet is fine (even sensible so long as it's teamed with exercise). But I loathe the skinny / slim / normal girls who diet for no obvious reason and seem to spend all their time talking about it – jeez!

They seem to have issues with either being happy or with food - neither of which I understand. Why can't people be happy that they have nice lives, free of major life-threatening diseases with enough to eat & clothe them? Do they have a percentage of their souls that has to be taken up with worrying about something, so they fill it with food? I've come to the conclusion that in a previous century these people would have made fabulous nuns - they would be worrying about sin & God rather than calories & Weightwatchers!

How did we come to live in a society where girls can talk about 'being good' when what they really mean is they haven't eaten properly today (or in many cases, had a diet lunch & then grazed on chocolate & crisps later on). These people aren't on real diets, they just like to beat themselves up about something. Worse they work together as a group to enforce these bizarre rules. People think I’m odd, & even offensive for not playing the game.

Eating is an important part of our lives – you can’t do without it anymore than you can do without sleep. Why would you want to remove as much pleasure as possible from your life? Most people wouldn't deliberately sleep on an uncomfortable bed or search out bad sex so why would you not want eat enjoyably too?
smiley - fairy

Post 2

speff

I agree with your rant 100% - particularly the "collective dieting" mentality. My place of work - a secondary school - is filled with supposedly intelligent women who behave like this. I wholly agree with finding and having support in activities which will make a fundamental improvement to your life - but when it appears to be an exercise simply to reduce a stick - like thigh to a twig - like one, I too get somewhat annoyed. Particularly when - like yourself - I make a point of feeding myself properly and pleasurably, and this is viewed as a social faux - pas on the level of farting loudly.

Post 3

Joe Otten

Top tip: let your daughters watch TV on a widescreen set that adds 25% width to everyone. A lot of the TV people will still look a bit skinny, but it's quite an improvement.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more