A Conversation for Talking Point: One Minute Rants

Mobile Phones

Post 1

DMK

(1) copying Dom Joly was never funny. please stop it.
(2) i do not want to hear about your personal life very loudly from the back of the bus.
(3) when asking your significant other what they would like for dinner whilst in the supermarket, you don't have to shout louder. if you shouted louder you wouldn't need a phone.
(4) people who say they can't live without their mobile phone. you did it rather easily up until about 5 years ago. remember?
(5) why stand in a telephone box to make a moblie phone call? its just silly.
(6) you are not the only person with Darth Vader's March as your ringtone.
(7) a mobile phone is not for watching films, taking pictures of David Beckham and sending them to your friends. they are not calenders, alarm clocks, or internet browsers. they are telephones, you use them to ring people up and see how they're doing.
(8) do you really have to use your phone to tell someone that you're 30 seconds away and will be coming round the corner in just a second?
(9) just turn them off in cinemas. its not clever and its not funny.
(10) not enough people recycle them. when you get a new one, give your old one to a charity. even if it doesn't work. they take the useful bits out of them and make 3rd world countries work. please recycle your old phones.

Mobile Phones

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

On the other hand, texting is easy, relatively cheap (sometimes) and virtually silent! smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Mobile Phones

Post 3

DMK

there is that, but i bet casualty have more head injuries in these days due to people txting as they walk down the street and bang into things.

saw it once, v. funny...

smiley - smiley

Mobile Phones

Post 4

Lazy Rog

what gets me peeved is when a group of folk decide to have a competition on the bus to see who has the most annoying ring tone.

Mobile Phones

Post 5

DMK

easy answer: THEY ALL DO!

Mobile Phones

Post 6

GraceK

People listening to all the different tunes on their mobile on public transport.

People who have their phone on really loud but take forever to find it in their briefcase / handbag.

People who leave their mobiles on their desks and then go out / away so that they ring & ring.

People who think they're too important or are too forgetful to turn off their phones at the cinema / theatre / sporting event. If you are that important, then put the #### thing on vibrate.

Mobile phone companies trying to sell me phones that are cameras, web browers,etc. It's a phone - I want to be able to phone people - plus I'd like sms, a calendar, a quieter (or shorter) alarm noise, a ringing tone that rings (instead of playing out of tune pop hits) and the FM radio seems like a good idea. How about creating ones where you can pick & mix the services you want?

Though I do have to disagree with DMK about the calendar facilities on mobiles - my husband never forgets our anniversary as his phone reminds him about it.
smiley - fairy

Mobile Phones

Post 7

Lazy Rog

i have my mobile set to virbrate when i'm somewhere public, I have to agree that i find the calander useful, it syncs via wireless to my pc when i'm in the office then when i'm out and about (at work) it tells me where I need to be. on the other hand to be controled by a machine...

Mobile Phones

Post 8

DMK

i suppose a calander could be useful, but i have one of them hanging in my study w/ our anniversary on it. haven't missed one yet.

i'm waiting for some clever japanese people to make a mobile phone which is 2 thimbles and a webglove thing. thimble 1: little finger-mouthpiece, thimble 2: thumb--earpiece, webglove thing: keybad--goes on back of hand. then you make a phone w/ your hand and speak away. never has a ringtone, just a small charge to make the nerves of your hand jiggle or something.

Mobile Phones

Post 9

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

I despise it when people fail to make important phone calls to you because they run out of credit despite haveing a perfectly good landline.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more