A Conversation for The Causes of the Wars of the Roses

Peer Review: A1111339 - The Causes of the Wars of the Roses

Post 1

And Introducing... A Leg

Entry: The Causes of the Wars of the Roses - A1111339
Author: And Introducing... A Leg -- My five-part historical epic - Coming Soon!!! - U194118

Part I

A1111339 - The Causes of the Wars of the Roses

Post 2

Z

Also brilliant!! as I've said on the previous entries this is really really good... have some more gifs of food, perhaps some smiley - choc may interest you?

Post 3

And Introducing... A Leg

smiley - choc is always of great interest to me (except Hershey's) - Thanx!smiley - biggrin

Post 4

Spiff

Hi A leg!, smiley - ok

i've been reading these Roses entries with great interest, and am far from having any serious feedback for you...

but i must say that it is a terrific project and very informative.

And i personally feel that the style works well.

I think one of the main difficulties in writing history for the 'reader on the street' remains style.

What you have written brings the events to life very effectively, and that is of great value.

One problem is that no matter how many precautions you take, you are always gonna end up talking too casually about a 'character' in the story because *you* know them all too well, but the reader doesn't... smiley - sadface

Sometimes, for instance, you call key players by their titles, and then by their family names (ex: Warwick = Neville), leaving the reader (sometimes) confused.

Having said that, and having read 3 of 4 of your entries, it's looking really good and will constitute a terrific addition to the Guide when they all go through.

It's up to you now to make them the best they can be. They will all go in eyes wide shut.

Well done on a good piece of work, and thanks for re-telling a fascinating tale.

cya
spiff

Post 5

David Conway

What a fantastic series of entries!

I had a bit of trouble keeping who had what relationship with whom straight, but with that many people and forces in play, that problem's inevitable.

Post 6

rainingonme

I think this is a fantastic series of entries.smiley - ok

Just one small suggestion - would it be possible to put in family trees for the major families? I found myself getting very confused about who was related to who and how!

Post 7

And Introducing... A Leg

It's probably possible to pun in some family trees, but it's beyond my technical abilities. If anyone who does know can help me, though, I'd be more than happy to do it.

Post 8

And Introducing... A Leg

By the way - thankx for the support, everyone. Most appreciatedsmiley - ok.

[Leg, who remembers his manners, but usually after the moment has passed]

Post 9

Z

Well the offical royal website has a this family tree on it, perhaps you could link to that?

http://www.royal.gov.uk/files/pdf/plantage.pdf

Post 10

And Introducing... A Leg

Excellent, that's just what I'll do.smiley - ok

Post 11

McKay The Disorganised

Good stuff - sorts out the families and issues really well, you could mention Richard ordering a trial by combat between Mowbray and Bolingbroke in 1398, then bottling it and exiling them instead, which led to Bolingbroke coming back to take the throne.

Onto part II

smiley - cheers

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Well done! Congratulations on a fine entry! smiley - bubbly

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 14

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Yes indeed! Cheers! smiley - bubbly

Bossel smiley - orangefish

Post 15

And Introducing... A Leg

smiley - bubbly - One down, four to go!!!!smiley - biggrin

Post 16

David Conway

smiley - bubbly

Peer Review: A1111339 - The Causes of the Wars of the Roses

Post 17

hlphillips

I would like to point out that Henry VI's wife was Margaret d'Anjou. His mother was Catherine of Valois, a French princess. The article claims Henry's wife was Margaret of Valois, a French princess.

Key: Complain about this post