This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

Interim

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, we all know that there'll be elections at some point in the future (I have no idea when that'll be, though).

I'm not sure I remember it all correctly. I think the plan is for people to suggest OTHERS for this or that post (Community Editors, for instance), the have hootooers vote.

This means, that although I'm currently an assigned CE, I may not be after elections. So would it be more correct to put 'Interim Community Editor' in my tagline?

I know there are some who take exception to me having it in my tagline in the first place, insinuating (through posts in various places) that I put it there to brag, when in fact it is only there so people know that yes, I am one of the current CEs who they can address if they have a problem or question.

Do you think people would take less umbrage if I made it clear that this is just an interim post? Or would it confuse people?

What do you think?

Interim

Post 2

Mrs Zen

smiley - lurk

Interim

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Don't you have any thoughts on that, Ben? As a researcher, I mean? smiley - winkeye

Interim

Post 4

Fizzymouse- no place like home

I think worrying about what other people think is a gross waste of time since other people think things whether we like it or not and whether it's accurate or not.smiley - erm

Therefore to summarise, what I think is entirely irrelevant you should do what you think is right and I'll support you for that.smiley - hug

Did that help?

smiley - mouse

Interim

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - biggrin

You know, if people kept those thoughts to themselves I wouldn't bother. smiley - winkeye

Interim

Post 6

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about people sharing their thoughts on other people's status. It's an irrelevance.

Whether you're a temporary, interim, permanent, long-term or job-share Community Editor is irrelevant. You're a Community Editor, tomorrow you could be a member of the Intergalactic Council but at the moment you're not (as far as I know) you're just a plain old Community Editor.smiley - smooch

If it's what you are you have every right to post it in your status/nametag whingers will whinge, it's what they do.smiley - 2cents

smiley - mouse

Interim

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks, Fizzy. smiley - smooch

Interim

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

I'm not sure if you were around when I was telling people what it was like for me when I'd been made moderator of a very very big message board - but it might help.

Basically, you have to get a thick skin and not worry what people think or say. If they say something against the rules, yikes it and that's it.

There's a lot of strange feelings going around at the moment which really haven't been helped by that traveller thread thing and everyone has to do a lot of work to repair the relationship and build the confidence of the researchers in the volunteers.

my smiley - 2cents is this: people volunteer for whatever reassons they have and that's their business. But the researchers are here to enjoy the site and no more. They have no responsibilities outside of keeping to the rules. Volunteers might feel miffed, they might feel overworked and under appreciated. They might feel that they are swimming against the tide - especially now when everyone is new at this and there has been such a huge change.

Researchers who volunteered and turned down, or basically encouraged not to volunteer at all might also be feeling prickly and ready to take umbrage at everythig (and of course, it depends why they volunteered: did they want to have a feeling of power? or altruisticly help? that influences how they react to the "new regime".)

All in all it was always going to be a difficult time, but trying to second guess what people thing about what you have in your tagline or not, or what other people might think about what you do in an official or unofficial capicity are ultimately pointless pursuits, aren't they?

As I used to say in the army: I'm not here to be your friend I'm here to get a job done. In certain respects that's the same for a CE (more so for a mod) but in other respects, of course it's not.

In short: don't try to second guess anyone. For what it's worth, I like the idea that the CEs have that in their tag, because I don't know if or where there is a page that says who does what and especially for newbies, it's a great help.

The other thing i would say is that as a newbie I wouldn't be totally sure what a CE is or does. In fact as an oldbie I'm still a little confused as to what is what and what the various roles are. But that will come with time.

Interim

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

Thanks, Sho. smiley - smiley Can you tell I'm still new at this. smiley - biggrin

>>I like the idea that the CEs have that in their tag, because I don't know if or where there is a page that says who does what and especially for newbies, it's a great help<< - that was exactly the reason why put it there. I'm having trouble myself to find the pages where it is listed who does what. I bookmarked them. However, a newbie won't know how to bookmark pages, and anyway, they'd have to find them first in order to do that.

We're all still finding our feet, and I feel better for having brought the topic up in the (relative) safety of my personal space where I can expect people to be honest and friendly. smiley - smiley

Interim

Post 10

Vicki Virago - Proud Mother

Keep it as it is Bel. It makes no difference who is a CE, just as long as we know who they are so we can approach them for a specifric reason.

x

Interim

Post 11

Researcher 14993127

My smiley - 2cents for what its worth.
I think the term Community Editor needs doing away with and just use h2g2 Editor. Its probably just me but I see the CE as being to close to the ACE tag, especially at first glance. I don't know how closely related the two are, ACES welcome newbies and generally help out across all manner of issues on site. I think h2g2 Editors should be in italics and operate from a seperate account so there can be no confusion as to whether someone is official staff or not. It would obviously need those appointed as editors to ensure they're in the right a/c before posting but apart from that I see no reason why being an Editor and a researcher shouldn't work.
As to what people think about tags, well, my answer to that is, you should be bloody proud to have such a position not ashamed or embarrassed and if there are a minority who think having such titles is grandstanding well, tough, they need to get a life in the real world, we all have people we have to answer to in life whether we like it or not. smiley - shrug

smiley - cat

Interim

Post 12

Mrs Zen

The only opinions I have on this topic are Official Business Development Volunteer ones, Bel. On this particular subject, I have been assimilated.

I've also drafted up an Elections Process which I'll be putting into Magrathea next month.

B

Interim

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

h2g2 Editors and Community Editors are a different kettle of fish.

The former Italics had to take on all roles, but I understood that pre BBC there were CEs (Peta, for one) who were the people being the 'face' for the community. When Jimster left (BBC times), there wasn't a face any more, nobody people could rub at, so to speak. It's the CEs who'll take the flak and try to get things right. The h2g2 Editors are the Guide Editors (afaik) who deal with Peer Review, subs, scouts and Edited Guide Entries. Those are not the tasks the CEs deal with. It is not surprising that CE and ACE are s similar, ACE stands for 'Assistant Community Editor'. I'm both, which I see as an advantage because it's very easy to bring Acey things to the attention of the CEs should the need arise.

Interim

Post 14

Mrs Zen

This is an interim diagrim: http://www.gliffy.com/publish/2924626/

I wanted it up before the move, but things didn't work out that way. It's something else I promise to post up properly with associated help pages and links "soon".

Interim

Post 15

Researcher 14993127

Ah, my mistake Bel, I thought those dealing with the Edited Guide were known as GE - Guide Editors?
As you were then. smiley - whistle

*changes topic quickly* Nice 'ere innit? smiley - biggrin

smiley - cat

Interim

Post 16

I feel sorry for Happy Nerd in a column all of his own.smiley - wah

Maybe when things settle down a bit we could storm that column.smiley - biker

smiley - mouse

Interim

Post 17

Mrs Zen

Happy Nerd's a she. And I feel sorry for her too. smiley - smiley

Interim

Post 18

I never could get the hang of sexing people in this forum.smiley - winkeye

From now on in Happy Nerd = Rapunzel to me.smiley - erm

Somebody send help.smiley - run

Interim

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

They are Guide Editors, but they'll be posting from the h2g2 Guide Editors account (U14916653), whereas we'll be posting from the h2g2 Future - Community Editors account (U14916633) in official role.

Interim

Post 20

aka Bel - A87832164

Happy Nerd is doing a fantastic job. smiley - applause I don't envy her that job. Rapunzel, Fizzy? How do you get from HN to Rapunzel? Oh, I see. I read Rapunzel and thought Rumpelstielzchen. smiley - silly

Key: Complain about this post