This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

The bug that pretends to log you out is a fake

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

You know how you are shown to be signed out if you are signed in and click on the 'show more conversations' (or http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/MP230913)? The same happens if you are signed in and click on a link you've bookmarked (eg the newbie list or the info page)?

I thought you were actually signed out, so always the back space.

However, when I did some aceing today, I forgot, so just clicked on a link to a newbie - and I was shown signed in again (or still, or whatever). So, no, it won't bring you to the last unread post, but it will bring you to the last page, and you can access your conversations after all and not just the ten most recent shown on your PS (no idea for all the other skins. I'm talking brunel here).

OK, I bit the bullet and it's the same in boo goo, alabasterd and plain.

Post 2

Hypatia

I seem to have eyeballs when I'm signed out.

Post 3

Hypatia

Oh, and remember how closng all windows used to automatically sign you out? That doesn't seem to happen now.

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

Ti mentioned that the other day. I can't say anything on that, I haven't tried it yet. Hyp, I can only see your suffix.

Post 5

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

In glorious goo I can see your name only, Hyp.

Post 6

Hypatia

And I can't see the suffix at all. smiley - weird

Post 7

Hypatia

I'm in alabaster. All that shows up is Hypatia. But when this reply window opens, the suffix is there.

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, that's a bit of a real bug. But I'm really happy that I can access conversations that are older than ten minutes without having to sign in again, which I thought I'd need to.

Post 9

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Our smiley - hero will sort it soon smiley - biggrin

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm sure he will. There are other bugs that need fixing first, though.

Post 11

h5ringer

smiley - hero Is that a new smiliey? I don't remember seeing it before smiley - boing

Post 12

h5ringer

Yea, yea smiley - sigh that should have been *smiley*

Post 13

Malabarista - now with added pony

'tis smiley - whistle

And Bel, that's not quite correct. It doesn't log you out, but you are not logged in on that page - same as the "My Conversations" window, the moderation popups, etc. If you'll have a look, the entire sidebar changes (no links to "my space" and so on), and it doesn't show the latest unread post, either.

Post 14

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, I said it doesn't show or bring you to the last unread post. However, you're not completely logged out, because the moment you click on a link on that page you're logged in again. When I thought I was logged ut I didn't even bother to click on any of the links because I didn't want to log in again and again and again. Now that I know I don't have to do that I can live with it (at least for a while). smiley - winkeye

I'd much rather know who I'm talking t without having to click on the reply button. smiley - smiley

Post 15

No, you're not understanding me. You *are* logged out. Of that page. Because there is currently no way to be logged *in* to it, or several of the others. smiley - weird That's the root of most of the problems we're encountering.

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

But it doesn't matter so much, because I do NOT have to log in to the page I open from there.

Post 17

MadSnacker-h2g2 ambassador to Yorkshire and the UK

Sounds like an electronic swarm of "mines" littering the site...smiley - yikes

I guess we'll have to be patient..as the folk on the Front Page advise.

smiley - teasmiley - cake

Post 18

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

It really is a terrible problem though. The Editorial pages ( where we can accept Scout recommendations, or allocate Sub-editors to name a couple) are *all* controlled by this bug - so you cannot log *in* to them. You may be logged in - but as soon as you visit any of them, you are automatically logged out. Even attempting to log in, when you are actually on them, sends you back to the home page. I could cry - seriously. Really.

I honestly feel terrible that we cannot do anything at all about peer review. We cannot make anything properly edited, or add images.

It's not for want of trying.

Post 19

smiley - hug It must be very frustrating that nobody can see all the hard work you're putting in to this, Lanza.

Post 20

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Oh, thanks Mala, but honestly, I am not doing any more than anyone else. I just feel it is a shame for everyone, especially those who are sending things into Peer Review, or whose work has been sitting there for ages.

This bug is affecting everyone, not just me. It will get fixed.

smiley - zen

Key: Complain about this post