This is the Message Centre for aka Bel - A87832164

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

OK, I didn't intend to write a journal, and there are a few meet journals you've probably read anyway, plus there'll be a meet report or two in the next smiley - thepost.
But then I haven't written any meet journals for the last two meets, and I guess I should at least tell you a bit. smiley - ok
The meet was fantastic, as always. smiley - magic

On Sunday, I met Gnomon at the V&A where we saw the exhibition on maps and art and a few more things. I was particularly impressed by some huge month tiles:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1487_renaissance/highlights_labours.html

Unfortunately, I had to leave after about two hours to catch my plane back. Time was going by very fast and I'd not have had any problems spending much longer in such wonderful company. smiley - smiley

All my friends - old and new - made my stay in London so magical that I feel it would be unfair not to tell them about the 'brief encounter' the Saturday afternoon attendees were all so curious about. smiley - winkeye

On Saturday morning, I walked over to the Premier Travel Inn where lil, Pete and VV stayed. Although it's not far from where I stayed, it took me a while to find it, cause I hadn't paid attention which way to go when I went there a year ago. smiley - rolleyes
I eventually arrived and sent lil a text message asking if she was up. I had sat down in front of the Anchor (the attached pub), in the sun. It didn't take long and a young-ish man (beginning to mid-thirties) with a German shepherd sat directly beside me.
There was lots of space, but apparently, he had a question. It took me a moment to understand that he asked me about the Shakespeare fair. I knew I had read about some events at the nearby Globe Theatre, but didn't remember what it was. So I told him I didn't know, and he'd best go over to the Globe and find out there.
He then gave me a picture postcard and insisted that I should keep it. smiley - erm
I was a bit puzzled, so he went on and asked about Shakespeare plays next. Again, I advised him to just go over to the Globe to find out, pointing in the direction of the Globe.
Next he wanted to know if I had been to the Globe, so I said I had, but not on the day.
When I got a text from lil saying she'd need a moment still, and that Pete and VV had gone out, I jokingly told her to take her time because the sunshine was nice, and I had an admirer. smiley - tongueincheek
Ha, I was closer to the truth than I had guessed, because my 'admirer' asked to see what text I wrote. I told him it was private and withdrew my hand.
Followed a lot of questions about where I came from, whom I was waiting for (a friend) - male or female? Female.
Did I live on my own - no, with my family etc, etc. I tried to make my replies as brief as possible, but he was undeterred, he even started to complain that the wind blew my hair in my face such hiding it, and got hold of my hair. smiley - yikes
I politely but firmly said: Don't touch! and he let go. He tried to engage me in a conversation for a while longer, but eventually got the message and left.
I've never been 'chatted' up before, so I was really completely clueless as for how to react. However, I didn't feel threatened at any moment, or else I guess I'd just have walked away.

That was only one of the very many 'firsts' I experienced this weekend.

Another slightly worrying 'first' was on landing in Frankfurt: with the wheels only inches away from the ground, the plane suddenly speeded up and took off again. I couldn't help it, but this immediately came to mind:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7343176.stm

Apparently, there were some whatever winds which would have made the plane come to stop too far behind the point where it should have stopped, so they had to repeat the manoeuvre.
AS you can see, all went well, so you can stop worrying now. smiley - winkeye

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 2

smurfles

Oh Bel,iwouldn't have had anyone trying to "chat me up",so no problem there,but i would have been hysterical on the planesmiley - wah
I'm always nervous when we fly,so i would have been a wreck!!!
So glad you landed home safely thoughsmiley - hug

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

Both were very strange experiences, <I mean, you'd have thought I have now reached an age where nobody would try to chat me up, eh? smiley - weird

They didn't take long to explain what happened with the failed landing, and I got to see Frankfurt from an angle I've never seen it from before, which was quite nice. smiley - biggrin

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Masher!

If I'd have been there I'd have bashed him with my smiley - handbag

You're too nice B'Elsmiley - hugthank goodness it wasn't a smiley - weirdo who didn't like the word "No"

Glad you landed safely toosmiley - angel

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

It was in plain view of lots of passing tourists, so I was just slightly bemused and amused.
As I said, if I had felt threatened, I'd just have gone into the Travel Inn.

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 6

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

*IS* there an age when you can't be chatted up any more?

Enjoy the compliment, Bel!

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 7

I'm not really here

I don't think he was trying to chat you up, I think he was a WEIRDO and that you had a lucky escape.

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 8

aka Bel - A87832164

Can you tell I don't have any experience with weirdos and/or strangers smiley - laugh

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 9

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

You do.

You talk to me!

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 10

I'm not really here

Well, being chatted up doesn't usually involve peering at your phone, or touching (not until after a few smiley - ale anyway.

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Well, *he* had a can of something (beer?) he was drinking from. smiley - erm

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 12

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

He might have been a wierdo who was trying to chat you up, the two are not mutually exclusive. Fir instance I'm weirdo and, assuming I've drunk enough, I do occassionally try to chat women up.

smiley - cheers

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh well, whatever. I didn't tell the husband, he'd not let me go again if he knew. smiley - laugh

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 14

Websailor

Lots of things it's best not to tell husbands B'El smiley - biggrin

It was a bit odd, but as you say you were in a very public place. If you didn't feel threatened why on earth wouldn't you be chatted up. You obviously give off nice vibes smiley - smiley Enjoy smiley - hug

Websailor smiley - dragon

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

Nice vibes, eh? I guess I should try to do something about them. smiley - laugh

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 16

Icy North

smiley - yikes Bel! Choleric's right - you could have been in danger smiley - erm

Glad you're still here to tell the tale. smiley - hug

And the aborted plane landing too! smiley - yikes

Someone up there's looking after you! smiley - angel

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 17

aka Bel - A87832164

I was more worried about the plane landing - or rather not-landing. smiley - laugh

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 18

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Here,B'el, for your own future safety here's some tips for the next time you come to the UK, dye your hair blond and act french, i.e. put on a french accent, act obnoxiously and arrogantly and stop bathing at least two weeks before you're due to get here smiley - smiley

smiley - cheers

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 19

aka Bel - A87832164

I could certainly reply in French, but as for the rest: that's impossible. smiley - biggrin

Other meet aspects - Bel

Post 20

aka Bel - A87832164

And now for something completely different:

The photos are up. smiley - ok

http://picasaweb.google.com/TheBelana/H2g2LondonMeet2008

Key: Complain about this post