A Conversation for Tips on Anger Management

Break something

Post 1

Zak T Duck

Not something valuable or something you'll regret though. Go to a car boot/ garage sale and buy some cheap plates. Then go and find a nice wide open space, take a deep breath and start hurling them plates towards the ground!

Break something

Post 2

Binaryboy

That sounds good Croz.

If nothing else works, I do something similar that doesn't involve plates. Here's how:

1) Learn how to box
2) Go down the boxing gym
3) Do 15 seconds of total damage on the punchbag, 15 seconds off
4) Do about 5 or 6 rounds of this (3 minutes or so)

The other good news is that this burns up loads of energy so you can go and have a cake afterwards.

BB

Break something

Post 3

kindheart7

I'm sorry, but this simply does not work (at least it didn't for me--then again, it was fifteen hundred pounds worth of laptop that got wrecked when i lost it). After two 'Break something' episodes of my own, i can truly say that initially it feels so good! (particualrly if you break something that belongs to the one that has angered you)-- you instantly feel relieved of the rage. The problem is that slowly but surely it creeps back up on you & a few hours later, though apparently calmer, you are still boiling with rage inside (i've found that this has been the case with me). Personally, i think humour is a far more effective means for controlling anger.

Break something

Post 4

badger party tony party green party

Havin had a wrecking spree around the house several times with one ex girlfreind I can say that although it may vent your anger it does not solve the problems. Once you have calmed down you will rgret having to replace the things youve broken or resent the other person more because you will blame them for getting you angry in the first place.

If changing something about your self is the answer then do that but dont throw plates if chucking her is the real solution.

Break something

Post 5

Zak T Duck

Which is why I said don't break something you'll need or regret breaking, if it's something cheap and tacky you've bought especially for the task at a car boot sale for a few pounds you're not going to mind it being obliterated.

Break something

Post 6

I was talking about heat of the moment stuff.

Sure a bit of harmless destruction is fine if you get that option. When youve got a belly full of anger that needs to be cleared but when your in the throes of rage doing an Arhtur Negus and estimating the value of crockery isnt really going to happen. It tends to be the nearest thing to hand or foot with me.

Break something

Post 7

kindheart7

Exactly! Rage is not rational so ofcourse you will not have the ability to differentiate between cheap/ not so cheap things to smash-- it really is a case of whats nearest to 'hand or foot'. If you seriously have the inclination to scour car boot sales for worthless things to smash on the off-chance that you become enraged, i suggest that you really do have a problem

Break something

Post 8

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

Violence is good, but maybe not actaully breaking stuff. When I get mad, I like to beat the Hell out of my pillow. Works like a charms, especially if mixed with just the right amount of making loud noises.

Break something

Post 9

Barb

Try yelling and hitting your pillow or mattress. This way, nothing gets broken, and you probably won't hurt yourself.

But I don't really think any kind of "violence" really helps let off the steam in a productive way....Every time we hit, punch, break, yell, scream, etc. when we are angry we are not "managing our anger" but expressing it by letting out steam. Anger "management" should take a preventative course, rather than a.....what?????...what did you say?????? I JUST GOT A TICKET....OH SH*T!!!!NOT AGAIN.....JEEZ....OH GIMME THAT WITCH!!! I'LL RIP HER THROAT OUT!!ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

wHaT WaS i sAyiNg????

Break something

Post 10

Zak T Duck

Hmm, I'll suggest what you say to my counsellor, it was her idea originally. I think it was because I normally just used to bottle up my problems and go into near nervous breakdowns, whereas she thought that going out and buying a few tacky plates and turning them into ex-plates was a good way of releasing that pressure valve rather than letting me suffer.

Break something

Post 11

kindheart7

How about just talking? Shouting even?-- I personally feel that if we can put some words to the messy, disorganised feelings and thoughts which are the basis of the emotional outburst, we can begin to have some coherence and power over the emotional turmoil we are feeling. Even if the words first come out in angry confused four letter bursts, eventually through verbalising our thoughts and feelings (this can of course be done by writing down the angry feelings)we will be able to gain a greater understanding and therefore an increased capacity for control over our rage. Putting words to the feelings provides us with a release that is not empty (breaking things), but ultimately informative and (without sounding too cheesy)empowering-- in the sense that we gain authority over our own reckless tendencies.

Break something

Post 12

I think that going with what works for you is best.

I last hit someone in anger years ago and its not a good thing in the long run.

What is a good idea is to realise that there are other options.

Break something

Post 13

KWDave

We have walk-in coolers in the kitchen where I work that are the best thing in the world when hot-heads get out of hand. The heavily insulated box will block the most vehement of Turrett's Syndrome expletives, while the cooling effect of refrigeration brings you back to earth quickly. It has saved many members of the wait staff from certain death.

Luckily, my dad was one who taught me to go ahead and blow off steam in small bursts, rather than waiting for the compressor to blow the safety valve. He could also curse for nearly two full minutes without repeating a single word, and that is an art. Non-directed cursing is extremely satisfying, and hurts no one when done in seclusion, at the top of one's lungs.

I highly recommend the walk-in cooler.

Break something

Post 14

Moving On

I've found going to a fairground, going on the fastest and scariest ride there is and SCREAMING throughout the entire ride extremely theraputic and totally justifiable. Keep doing this until the money/throat/or anger runs out. After around a fiver's worth I feel almost fit to take on the rest of the world again.
Works for me, anyway

Break something

Post 15

Secretly Not Here Any More

You missed out the oh-so theraputic Mosh Pit. Being thrown about by equally enraged guys and throwing them back just as hard always burns off a bit of anger, and as long as nobody gets dragged in who doesn't want to be, it's all good.

Anger!

Post 16

Serendipity237974

Why spend money to break it, why potentialy damage yourself... find whoever or whatever pissed you off and scream, damage or demoralise it some way, there's no better way to fix the washing machine than swear at it...ask my mum! smiley - wow

Break something

Post 17

Naturally Argumentative

Not moshpits. Mosh pits are a bad place to be angry. I nearly ended up smashing someone in the face the last time I was in one. Thirty seconds later I had been perfectly happy, but when you get an idiot they can make Ghandi see red.

Anyway, another good way of letting your anger out is a drum kit. Like screaming and a punch bag all in one. Plus its always satisfying to know you've come out a rage feeling better while simultaniously annoying everyone within earshot of your house (hopefully including the cause of your anger)

And finally, it is important not to use violence on inanimate objects. When you get too worked out anything can push you over the edge, and a number of fridges, cupboards, computers and walls have felt my fist, resulting in my fist feeling them for the next few hours

Key: Complain about this post