This is the Message Centre for Heroic Muse

Thoughts about mortality

Post 1

Heroic Muse

My grandfather died today.

That is probably not the best way to start a public jounral entry--perhaps this should be just in my private journal, but it sort of adds more weight to some things I've been thinking about anyway.

Let me preface this by saying that for me he died a long time ago. He had Alzheimer's disease and didn't recognize anyone. Most of the time he didn't speak English and he didn't quite speak German--he said German words that no one recognized.

Also that his death was expected, because last week he seemed to have forgotten how to eat.

What it underscores for me is my own growing awareness of my mortality--not in any suicidal sense but in the sense of needing to get going with my life.

In the past year, I have become more and more aware of what a fragile thing a human life is. Unlike in my grandfather's case, most of the time death or illness sneak up on people.

I started being aware of this a few months ago. One of the healthiest people I know got sick suddenly. For a month she didn't know if she'd ever be able to work again. Then, for two months, she had blurred vision and low energy. No one knew what was wrong with her. Before her illness she was active, energetic, watched her diet, etc.

Fortunately she has come out of it now, but for a long time it seemed as if her illness was interminable--she had gone suddenly from being a 70-something woman with the spirit of a younger person to someone who couldn't do the things she used to do.

I also became aware of this as I listened to the tapes of _Salmon of Doubt_, and realizing that DNA intended to live a lot longer than he did.

For me it all adds up to making sure that I become a writer instead of just dreaming about it... I too hope my life lasts a good long time but I am becoming more and more aware that there are no guarantees.

Thoughts about mortality

Post 2

Zero The Hero (bringer of humorous typos)

It's hard to know what to say, plaitudes from a virtual stranger probably aren't going to help right now.

However I feel I need to offer you my condolences.

I'm sure that if you feel the need to post about this people here will be prepared to listen. I'm also sure that if you feel you need time away from this place people will understand.

Either way I'll be thinking of you at this difficult time.

Neil

Thoughts about life

Post 3

Zaphod Beeble-Broks

Maybe we are just a dream!
Davesmiley - alienfrownsmiley - martianfrown
P.S.Just an idea!

Thoughts about mortality

Post 4

Heroic Muse

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your post. It helps to know that virtual acquaintances are listening smiley - biggrin

I am all right at the moment. It so happens that one of the characters in my screenplay shares my grandfather's first name. Perhaps I will dedicate it to him when I am done.

Stephanie

Thoughts on Names

Post 5

Zaphod Beeble-Broks

I AM DAVE NOT NEIL!!
Davesmiley - alienfrownsmiley - martianfrown

Thoughts on Names

Post 6

Heroic Muse

Please don't shout... I have enough of a headache as it is.

I was responding to Neil, which is why I used his name.

Stephanie

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Heroic Muse

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more