Author: Jodan - Mining 42 Project America, at A990993 - U201497

Who wants some ancient culture!?

smiley - blacksheep

A991938 - Ancient Astronomy- Archeoastronomy

Post 2

anhaga

Hiya Jordan:

A note or two:

wandering stars-planets. do you want to mention the language? (Greek, wasn't it?)

conlusions->conclusions

"Astronomy is an observational science, not one of experimentation" Some purists might argue that it ain't a science without experimentation. But I understand your point.

" 60 seconds per minute." I thought I heard somewhere that the use of 60 seconds to the minute as a measure of time (as opposed to segmenting a degree) was a fairly recent invention (18th century). But I might be wrong.

The Chinese- mention the Crab Nebula, please, please, can you?!

"A very common misconception of early cultures" would "A very common misconception held by early cultures" be clearer? I thought at first you meant "A very common misconception about early cultures". Prepositions can be a bugger.

Mention the Maya calendar, please, please, can you?! http://www.michielb.nl/maya/calendar.html
and Rabbit on the Moon is always a place to visit: http://www.halfmoon.org/index.html

Just a few little things.smiley - biggrin You've been busy, I see. Well, back to 1812.

Post 3

Z

I don't know much about the subject matter, but great entry! smiley - cheers

Post 4

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

Hey, pretty nice looking entry! smiley - ok

Typo in the first paragraph: it should be "Earth's axis" as Earth is a proper noun and is the owner of the axis. smiley - smiley

Share and Enjoy! smiley - teasmiley - towel

Post 5

Rho

Very good entry! smiley - ok

Here are my smiley - 2cents:

- Civilizations > Civilisations; characterize > characterise

- In "cooridoors and hallways", should "cooridoors" be "corridors"?

- "Signs of the Zodiac, Zodiac Sign Dates" might look better in bold.

Well done smiley - smiley
RhoMuNuQ

Post 6

J

Good point, RhoMuNuQ. I'm American and was just waiting for the British to come and tell me which ones smiley - ok

smiley - blacksheep

Post 7

Rho

No problem! smiley - smiley

I spotted a few more on rereading the entry:

- curiousity > curiosity
- conlusions > conclusions
- Halleys Comet > Halley's comet
- traveling > travelling
- comemorated > commemorated

RhoMuNuQ smiley - smiley

Post 8

J

In retrospect, spell check would have been a good idea. I'll make the changes smiley - ok

smiley - blacksheep

Post 9

J

Oh, I didn't see anhaga and Z up there. Hi anhaga, I'll try to mention the crab nebula, I read all about it researching this. I can say something about the Mayan calendar I suppose

Well thanks, I'm gonna make the necessary changes as soon as I'm finished updating my posts

smiley - blacksheep

Post 10

Rho

Did you see Gordon as well? smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ

Post 11

J

I saw Gordon. Thanks Gordon

smiley - blacksheep

Post 12

Mammuthus Primigenius

Lots of interesting information here. It does drift a bit from one thing to another, maybe worth restructuring it somehow...

You mention astrology in one of the headers, but don't really say anything about it. You could explain this with the other reasons you give for stargazing (religion, science, navigation etc).

But overall I like it smiley - ok

Post 13

J

Did I say astrology? I meant astronomy, which header is it?

smiley - blacksheep

Post 14

Mammuthus Primigenius

No.2: Early Astrology in Civilizations

It was astrology the babylonians etc were interested in, so it may be better to leave it.

Post 15

J

You're right. I was right, sort of. I'll go through it again and check for mistakes

smiley - blacksheep

Post 16

J

Anything else? Yes it's true that I'm just bumping this up in PR, but well, you know... whatever

smiley - blacksheep

Post 17

anhaga

thanks for putting the Crab Nebula in. BTW, the nebula itself is also a remnant of the explosion. it's the expanding shell of gas, the shockwave front.

Post 18

J

I assume you like the Crab Nebula? I have a limited knowledge of it

smiley - blacksheep

Post 19

anhaga

No, it's just something that I discovered when I was a kid -- that the Chinese had witnessed the supernova that we now see as the crab nebula. It was neat when I was ten and it's still neat now. Actually, yes, I guess I do like the Crab Nebula. It's a story that hit me just at the right time and has stuck. You know that kind of story, I'm sure. Thanks for being patient with my childhood astronomy story.smiley - biggrin

Post 20

J

Yes, smiley - erm patient

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a

smiley - blacksheep

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more