This is the Message Centre for smurfles

On my soapbox today!!

Post 1

smurfles

I listened to the news yesterday,and have mulled over what i heard...and i'm smiley - steamyet again!!
So,it was originally underestimated when the cost was announced for the 2012 olympic stadium(what's new there!!)
9.3 BILLION pounds will now be spent,instead of the original 2.some billion!!!smiley - yikes
It was said that it's equivalent to £115 for every man,woman and child in the country!
Well personally i'd prefer my £115 was used to pay for treatment for alzheimers,(£2.50 a day)to make someones life so different,or for the newest treatment for cancer,
This money would build 86 new hospitals,pay for much needed scanners to detect illnesses earlier,and therefore give a much better chance of full recovery.Whats wrong with this country??

On my soapbox today!!

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

Hi Sal, we have a really good entry about this and other financial fiascoes here: A19357419

On my soapbox today!!

Post 3

websailor

Sal, Sal, Calm down dear, you'r fizzing fit to bust today smiley - biggrin

I know how you feel, but my blood pressure won't stand the pace, so I am chilling out! Someone else can do the worrying for a change. I did send a donation which I hope will get the Altzheimers sufferers their daily tablets though. As you know that is something very close to my heart smiley - rose. Thinking of you on Mothers Day smiley - rose

There is so much wrong with this country and this Govt. we could fill h2g2 with it, but it wouldn't get us anywhere.

What we need is a revolution, but if I say any more I will probably get smiley - yikes!!!

Take care, smiley - love

Websailorsmiley - dragon

On my soapbox today!!

Post 4

Moving On

Come the revolution Webbie, I know who *I'd* like to see first up against the wall mate....

and it certainly wouldn't be you

smiley - evilgrin

On my soapbox today!!

Post 5

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

hi sal
-
my input
-
they say what they can to get the olympics, and then wait till its to late to do anything, and cry the cost is more.been the same each time
-
and how many that have hosted the olympics, have been left at the end with a large dept and a white elephant, to many to mention. smiley - peacedove jim

On my soapbox today!!

Post 6

websailor

Hi, Jimcracker,

My husband expressed the very same sentiments only this morning.

I wonder what it feels like to spend and waste billions of pounds of other people's money, without every having to pay it back.

You know, we never liked the Lottery from Day One, because the Govt. of the day had their fingers in the pie, and we have never once bought a ticket either. We always said they would take a bigger and bigger share without so much as a 'by your leave' and it seems we were right.

Revolution anyonesmiley - evilgrin

Websailorsmiley - dragon

On my soapbox today!!

Post 7

smurfles

I'm always a bit cautious about posting subjects like this,there must be people who will argue that we need the revenue that the olympics will bring!!smiley - yikes
This has really got me smiley - steamed up,i can't beleive we're closing hospitals down,old peoples homes,we have a crippled health service......oh i could go on and on and on!!!!

"revolution anyone"WS!!!
Yes pleasesmiley - hug
I'm off to look at bels' link nowsmiley - hug

On my soapbox today!!

Post 8

I'm not really here

I can do without it, quite frankly. The Olympics are coming to my town too - to a park a mile away from me. It's possible that they may bring some benefit in that they are going to build a mountain here, and it's likely the council will make them build it on the old landfill site which is eroding a bit.

But other than that, they are planning to put mountain biking in a park sited among roads that *already* get their fair share of car accidents as people take the narrow roads too fast. There's no pavements, so no chance of getting there unless you drive. Only for the Olympics they are putting in park and ride. Which appears to be the other side of my house to the bike track. So what benefit is loads of traffic trucking past on my estate going to have? The already dodgy roads and grass verges are likely to get more of a kicking than they already do.

I'm with you on this one, and it's not just because I'm a NIMBY, but because I really don't see what this will bring to us. We never win anything because we're a nation of couch potatoes.

On my soapbox today!!

Post 9

Kaz

Quite agree, never wanted the Olympics, fed up at having to pay for it. Very fed-up of watching local news items with people saying its time we all got behind it.

Just like the Dome its a colosal waste of money.

On my soapbox today!!

Post 10

websailor

Hi, Kaz, it's good to see you back again.

smiley - hug

Websailorsmiley - dragon

On my soapbox today!!

Post 11

smurfles

It seems that i'm not in the minority then..it's time we spoke up about the things we disapprove of!!

smiley - applauseKAZ!!!How nice to see you back againsmiley - cuddle

On my soapbox today!!

Post 12

Universal Granny

I'm with you, Smurfles smiley - hug UG

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for smurfles

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more