This is the Message Centre for Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

h2g2 out,facebook, my space, and bebo in

Post 1

Jimcracker7[magiclink.rip gone altogether. im back.in my home from home.

i tryed a kind of experiment in the last few days.
-
i sent emails to some i knew from the last few years, that dont come on h2g2 anymore, and ask why
-
out of the 15 i emailed 14 replied. no names, no packdrill.
-
some are on the facebook and my space. some just facebook, some also on bebo, if i got it right.
-
a few are on the virtuality sites
-
one good think as come from the emailing, 7 might still keep intouch, but for how long.time will tell.
-
i thought, if i had a pc, would i be on other things, or still use h2g2, as i dont have the choce, and cant get some things at the cyber low memeory and space, i,ll never know.
-
a friend said, why not, when my lodgers gone, get a pc again.
-
do i want the hasstle i had last time, or am i contect with the cyber, agin time will tell lol.

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

who needs anywhere else, my family is heresmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

must be a good mate, good advicesmiley - biggringet a PC

Post 3

hi prof
-
got the weight the pros and cons, the late nights, with no sleep being on things like msn,lol smiley - dragon jim

Post 4

BMT

Its a matter of choice and what you want from a site isn't it? When you look at some of the content of Facebook, Myspace and Bebo you have to ask do you really want your kids having access to some of the unmitigitated use of foul language, viewing videos and pictures better off on a triple x site? I didn't have to look very hard or for long either, I can't post links here of what I found as they'd get yikesed, suffice to say it's not what I'd expect for so called social networking. There's no 'chat' facility as such though a couple have there own IM programs.
I have a facebook a/c though frankly not sure why to be honest, it doesn't do anything more than I can do here or in msn spaces or msn messenger. A lot of the stuff you add is third party software and as recently shown on the BBC's Click IT program, there are some security concerns there about spyware being disguised as 'gadgets'.
I don't suppose it helps when, as always, these sort of sites are in the news, it's usually because something bad has happened. It boils down to who's in control of content? Should there be control? I daresay there'll be the usual debate about censorship but shouldn't common sense have a role to play here, especially by parents? I'm not a parent but do have nieces and nephews who I encourage to use pc's and the internet but I'm extremely wary of what and where they go online.
Guess I have more questions than answers but I personally don't see so called social networking sites as being an alternative to H2.
Just my smiley - 2cents for what it's worth.

smiley - cat

Post 5

hi mk
-
i agree, the boss at the cyber said he would increase the pc i mainly use if i want any of the ones i named, i said nah.
-
they are to open, you are no restricted to any vid clip you want to show. and not always from the pest called youtube, thats taking over now.
-
facebook and mt space, will eventually come under more stricter rules, but now as i said it seems to be, do want you want, and say what you want, to much info some are giving.
-
and like a story on the news a 100+ lady as a facebook, and only adds her daily bits,who reads them. the mind boggles. smiley - dragon jim

Post 6

Reality Manipulator

Hi Jimsmiley - smiley

I have never got used to messaging or chat facilities and even though I am on my space, I rarely use it talk to people. It is alright adding things to your page but apart from that, is the only thing I like about it. I was on facebook for a while but did not like the fact you had to send requests to friends to use appliances (I do not if that is the word) and I only really only used it for the quizzes.

Post 7

Crazyace

I am not surprised I don't come on here much these days you will mostly find me on http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?act=idx and jackie on Mobile Park.

Post 8

hi crazyace
-
yep im still here, on a digi
-
in the past most that are now on the pc, only had digi like you and jackie, we had to take what we had, or nothing.
-
then even me went to the pc, and didnt come on as much to h2g2,
-
i went to the 3d forums, and chats on the same thing. i still do at the cyber.
-
most like yourself had a passion,or hobby, on the digi thats what it stayed, then some went pc, and they took up their hobby, and h2g2 came second, then eventually was forgotten.
-
its the same with first, my space, then, facebook, followed bt bebo, and the main topic, is whats on youtube today, how long till another great chat, and whatever comes along
-
can h2g2 weather the storm, how long till other than diehards leave altogether.
-
,smiley - dragon jim

Post 9

Crazyace

Hi Jim nice to hear from you again, Pc in much better than the Digibox, I have done two long couses in I.T. got my ECDL and my ITQ but still no job, nobody wants you when you're approaching 60. I would love to get into web building and it was H2G2 that first fired up my interest in it. I have built this one
( http://www.barnsleyroadclub.org/index.html )for the Bike Club and the club has bought it's own domain. My own p.w.p. with virgin has gone belly up and as usual I can't hold of virgin media to sort it out. Hope your keeping well cheers Alan

Post 10

hi alan
-
we did something years ago, when we only had the magic link to h2g2, that people on the pc would take now for granted.
-
i remember the night, we found that (telewest) had messed up, and dropped the wall, and for over a week we had full acsess to the internet.
-
no downloads, just find and see.
-
but to us it was like opening pandora,s box.
-
then it closed on us, and we had the h2g2 again, then lost it, with sso, then we had it back with only text, no pics or anything.
-
a lot of our group, wanted the pandora back, so went pc.
-
its the same with the book, space, bebo and others, its the pandoras box, opened, and cant be closed for now, so it will get stronger, and people will get more addicted, leave more and more personal things, till, infinity smiley - dragon jim

Key: Complain about this post