This is the Message Centre for ~:*-Venus-*:~

I quit!

Post 1

~:*-Venus-*:~

Smoking that is... I havent had a cigarette in a month now smiley - boing I don't intend to have one ever again either. smiley - smiley
It all started with a health scare smiley - yikes Most of my friends know that i have to take various medications for arthritis and a recent addition of thyroxine, for an under-active thyroid....brought about by the rhumatoid arthritis smiley - groan
The level of thyroxine i was taking was increased in August and this lead to the health scare. Higher doses of this drug can cause some nasty side effects, one of them being angina. After a week on the higher dose, i started getting some serious chest pains and a horrible ache down my left arm smiley - yikes I thought i was going to have a heart attack! smiley - wah Anyway the dose of thyroxine was quickly reduced and things returned to normal. I still have to go and see the cardiologist though, just to be sure there is nothing wrong smiley - erm
It made me think though, i'm not ready to die or be confined by ill health so it was time to quit the cigs.
I spoke to my gp who passed me on to the 'stop smoking clinic'. I'm not one for 'group' therepy or counselling in general, i've always been the sort of person that sorts things in my own way. I reluctantly went along to the one-to-one session, just so that i could get the prescription for the patches and instructions on how i should go about things.
I went to the clinic twice and hated the way the woman spoke to me like i was 5 and just starting school smiley - grr So, i came off the patches and told her i would'nt be attending anymore. that was 3 weeks ago.
I can now safetly say i'm a NON_SMOKER! smiley - biggrin

I quit!

Post 2

KB

That's fantastic Venus. Good for you! smiley - cheers (That must have been a hell of a fright, though...)

You'll fairly notice the extra money, too.

I quit!

Post 3

Yep, i was a little panicked to say the least smiley - yikes
I wish i could say i've noticed the money, but i havent so far; too many things to pay out for just now. I have noticed that i no longer get out of breath walking up a hill or climbing stairs. smiley - magic

I quit!

Post 4

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Venus... I am really proud of you. And I do wish you the very best of smiley - goodluck

I didn't, and don't, notice any additional smiley - 2cents when I gave up, but I know I couldn't find an additional £5.00 a day now. smiley - yikes. I'd have to smoke the cigarette, then eat the butt, just to say I'd eaten something... smiley - wah

Keep it up. You are doing well, as I told you earlier this month! And best wishes on the health front too.

You'll amaze me and do two full laps of Kew's aerial walkway next!!! smiley - rofl

smiley - giftsmiley - cakesmiley - bubbly

smiley - hug and >cuddle>

MFM

smiley - whistle

I quit!

Post 5

Ivan the Terribly Average

Well done! smiley - bubblysmiley - magic

The most amazing revelation for me when I stopped smoking was... the smell of everything in general, but bananas in particular. I can smell a banana at 20paces now. Gosh. Who'd have thought the sense of smell had suffered that much?

I quit!

Post 6

Websailor

Venus,

smiley - bubblysmiley - applause I am so pleased you have managed to give up and without the 'help' of the snooty woman! I am always so pleased when anyone gives up the smiley - puff having seen what it did to my Dad and my other half.

I do hope you will keep it up, but rest assured there will be encouragement on here if you feel you are flagging, or tempted. We smiley - pony (nag) gently if need be smiley - biggrin

Thanks for the info. about thyroxine. I didn't know that. I did know that the dose had to be monitored, but hadn't realised it could be that serious. You must have had a real fright. let's hope it was no more than too high a dose.

Take care,

Websailor smiley - dragon

I quit!

Post 7

Websailor

Ivan, my husband has found that too. In fact I find it a bit irritating as he keeps asking what 'that smell is' - he did it tonight when he had coffee and I had Cranberry and raspberry tea! I think he thought he was missing out on something nice!!

Glad we have no need to smiley - pony you any more smiley - biggrin

I quit!

Post 8

Hi MMF
You were the first person to know i had quit, when we went to Kew. I can't see it curing my vertigo anytime soon smiley - laugh I'd be happy to stand and watch you do even one lap of that ariel walk though. smiley - winkeye
I will look forward to our next visit to Kew next year. smiley - hug

Hey Ivan smiley - smiley
You know one of the things i really notice with the new and improved sense of smell, is the smokers smiley - erm It's not something i particularly want to notice either.
Hopefully next summer, it will be the scent of flowers that i notice more. smiley - biggrin

Hi Webbie smiley - smiley
Who would have thought that something designed to make you better, could have the opposite effect. Thyroxine is a really dangerous drug, any overdose can quickly lead to death smiley - skull Luckily for me, the increase of dose was small and the effects quickly went after i reduced the dose.
I have no intentions of smoking again, i've wanted to give up for a long time i just had to pick my moment. smiley - smiley

I quit!

Post 9

Websailor

Venus,

I just went downstairs to see my badgers in the garden, and my other half commented how strong my birthday flowers smelt!! it really is amazing how he has recovered his sense of smell. He sneezes too now, which suggests to me that his scilia (spelling?) might have regrown if that is possible.

You are right about smelling other smokers too - he hates being near them now. Thankfully both my sons hate ciggies. I have lived with smokers all my life and hated the habit, and the cost.

I quit!

Post 10

nortirascal

You'll put on loads of weight nowsmiley - winkeye Just like mesmiley - winkeye

I quit!

Post 11

In your dreams Norti, this lady does'nt put on weight easily.smiley - tongueout Especially as there are no hotel cooked breakfasts coming my way.

I quit!

Post 12

Skankyrich [?]

Well done smiley - applause It's about time I tried.

I quit!

Post 13

ITIWBS

Congratulations!smiley - applause. I'm glad you've made a decision you're happy with.smiley - ok

(By the by, I've been following your PR article on orchids, but since I know next to nothing about orchids, haven't been contributing.)

I quit!

Post 14

Don't worry about not contributing ITWBS, it's all done now and the photos have been applied. I hope you will find it an interesting read. smiley - smiley

I quit!

Post 15

nortirascal

Iid never swee tham passed my vast waistelinesmiley - sadface What are orchids? or feet for that mattersmiley - erm
Never mind, sometimes smiley - tea and smiley - choc are the answer to everything, especially in stopping smoking rastarfarian old holbourne smiley - tongueincheek Venus. I must give your garden a professional check sometimesmiley - winkeye

I quit!

Post 16

Al Johnston

Excellent! smiley - applausesmiley - hug

I quit!

Post 17

nortirascal

What the smiley - bluelight in Venus's naughty garden

I quit!

Post 18

smiley - bigeyes I have a naughty garden? I think the naughty garden only exists in your dreams m'dear, where smiley - handcuffs grow on trees and smiley - smooch blossom all year round.

I quit!

Post 19

nortirascal

You know me so wellsmiley - winkeyesmiley - blush

I quit!

Post 20

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post