This is the Message Centre for ~:*-Venus-*:~

Visitors from accross the world

Post 1

~:*-Venus-*:~

It's been a busy couple of days.
Yesterday, my friends arrived from Canada for a 5 day visit. Some of you will know Rev Nick, he and his wife are over here for 2 weeks, to visit friends and places.
They had a bit of a nightmare with the trains, with engineering works in progress. What should have been a straightforward train journey, had them all over the place on different lines and then buses. Finally they arrived here, more than a little tired.
I had made the decision that i was going to cook smiley - yikes This was a brave decision considering my ability to cremate just about everything smiley - dragon Anyway, i made my smoked Haddock quiche and it turned out just right, no one was more suprised at that than me smiley - laugh
We looked at photos and talked about loads of stuff, it was a good evening smiley - biggrin

Today, i showed them my place of work and we also visited the farm accross the road.
My family arrived and we all went into town for lunch. We went to a chinese restaurant, where they did a buffet. It's not the one i usually go to, but it was ok. We then went for a walk around the town and around the small cathederal. The Rev and his Wife were very impressed with the history of the catherderal.

We said goodbye to my family and headed back to my house. After gathering their luggage, Nick and Mrs Nick departed for their hotel. I imagine they will both be shattered and sleep well smiley - zzz

Tomorrow, we are off to London to take in the sights. Tower of London and Westminster Abbey.
It should be a good day. smiley - smiley

Post 2

aka Bel - A87832164

So sorry to hear about the hassle with the trains. I sympathise, we had that when we went to London for a weekend: an earlier tuibe on the Northern Line had had an accident, so the line was closed, and we had to find out which buses to take to get to our hotel. Took us ages, what with them starting on the 'wrong' side of the road, and not stopping if you don't jump on the road whilst waving frantically. smiley - laugh
Glad to hear you had a good day today, and that the dinner was a success. smiley - hug

Post 3

hayayfi

Well done on the quichesmiley - ok, hope you have a lovely day with fantastic weather for London smiley - magic look forward to updates and pictures of the happy triosmiley - run

Post 4

Hi B'el
You know what London can be like if you're a stranger in the place, it's mind boggling.
They seem to have recovered well from that experience AND my cooking smiley - laugh

Post 5

Hi Hayafi
Nick has already been busy with his camera smiley - yikes He's very sneaky ya know, you don't even hear the thing click! smiley - erm
We've had good weather so far and fingers crossed it will stay that way.

I'll update after the next outing today. smiley - biggrin

Post 6

hayayfi

Is he using a digital or film? if it's digital you could try an em pulse smiley - evilgrin

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

Hi Venus, hope you're having a great day. It's chucking it down here, hope you have lovely weather. smiley - ok

Post 8

Today has been exhausting smiley - puff We arrived in London fairly early, then had to look for a bank that would exhcange travellers cheques (without paying 10% for the privelage) This turned out to not be so easy smiley - groan Anyway, finally that was sorted, so we headed off to the Tower of London.
I had never actually been inside the building before, so it was new to me aswell. We all enjoyed it very much, it was far bigger than we anticipated. So having climbed a 100 steps up and down (and thats without the train station ones) we headed off to the next venue; Westminster Abbey.
It's funny how when you live near or in London, you tend to bypass all the tourist attractions smiley - laugh
Westminster Abbey was HUGE smiley - bigeyes and full of dead people! smiley - yikes I had never seen so many tombs and stuff in one building. Of course, there were even more steps to climb and by this time we were starting to tire a bit. We saw as much as possible before they kicked us out. smiley - laugh
We were meant to be visiting Kew gardens tomorrow, but the tubes are now suspended because of a strike smiley - cross
We were lucky to get to Liverpool St on the tube, they stopped just after we got back.
Once back in Chelmsford, we went for fish & chips....another British tradition that Nick and Mrs Nick wanted to try smiley - smiley Thanks for the treat both smiley - hug
So, now i have to find something else for us to do tomorrow instead. I think both Nick and Mrs Nick are not that disapointed about NOT going to London again tomorrow, they both realised how tiring it can be. smiley - puff

Post 9

aka Bel - A87832164

I still have some traveller cheques from the first time we went to London (Oct 2003!!) - nobody tells you that it's nearly impossible to ay with them. smiley - groan
I did get rid of some back then, the London Dungeon and the Londo Eye accepted them, I think. As do the big stores such as Saintburys and Asda , and the hotel we stayed in- and none of them charged fees. So best send Nick and wife shopping. smiley - biggrin
Have never been in the Tower of London - the family went while I did a 'London Walk'. They were quite impressed with the ToL.
London and the underground - a never ending adventure, eh? smiley - laugh
I'm sure you'll find something else to do tomorrow. smiley - ok

Post 10

We found out that the Lloyds-tsb bank, do exchange travellors cheques without charge. So, when you're next over here, find one of those and you can cash your cheques. smiley - smiley

The underground is always an adventure, sometimes an unwanted one smiley - groan You certainly get to know how a sardine must feel smiley - laugh

I'm thinking of a quiet day tomorrow. We have a common in the village, with a small church they might like to look at. There is also a very nice pub that does good lunches smiley - biggrin

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

That sounds like a good idea. Have they got over the jet lag yet? If not, a quiet day is probably welcome. smiley - smiley

Post 12

Nick seems to be fine, but Mrs Nick said all the travels, time difference and excitement had caught up with her today.
I'm certainly feeling tired after all the excitement of the past couple of days smiley - sleepy
Still, neither of them can say their visit here was boring eh! smiley - laugh

Post 13

aka Bel - A87832164

Certainly not. From what you've told, the travels alone were anything but boring. I guess the sightseeing was just a bonus. smiley - laugh

Post 14

hayayfi

How about some fine old english pubs...never heard of someone charging to cash travellers cheques before must be a european thing.....did you guys happen to see the first female Beefeater while in London apparently she was suppose to start work today?

Post 15

No, we did'nt see the lady beefeater, though there were a few beefeaters around that day.
We did visit a pub today for lunch smiley - drool Not exactly and Olde worlde pub, but nice all the same.
I took them to Colchester today. We visited Colchester castle and had a look around the town. They both said they enjoyed it, so i'm pleased smiley - biggrin We are all pretty tired now, having again walked up and down endless stairs....not to mention a very steep hill to reach the castle smiley - puffsmiley - puff I'm sure i've lost weight smiley - yikes
Tomorrow is their last day here, so we're going out for a meal tomorrow evening. It also happens to be their 20th wedding anniversary, so thats cause for a celebration i think smiley - smiley

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

My doesn't time fly? It sems as if they only just arrived.
Hope you're having another great day and that they'll manage to go wherever, with the tube being on strike. smiley - ok

Post 17

Rev & Mrs Nick departed this morning, on to Wales and visiting another friend.
Their visiting time went very quickly and i'm a little sad now they're gone smiley - sadface We had a great time and crammed alot into the four days they were here.

Lastnight we went for a meal at the local carvery, which was very good. There was a brief struggle as to who was going to pay for the meal....and i won! smiley - tongueout My gift to celebrate their 20 years of marraige.
I hope that maybe in a few years they will be able to visit again and it's a good possibility that i will pluck up enough courage to take a flight across the world and visit them smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

You only got to pay because milady gave me "the scowl". smiley - laugh

M'dear, we cannot thank you enough for everything, and owe you HUGE. It's nearly certain that we will return (for those other 916 sites in London that she wants to see), so please do rest up. And you can be certain there is a guest room waiting for you, with pink sheets and hot-and-cold running smiley - catsmiley - cat.

Post 19

I did'nt see the scowl....you must have imagined it! smiley - laugh
Ummmm....916? smiley - yikes You have the map, you can find the way to 910 on your own! smiley - puffsmiley - puff
So, would 2009 be too soon for a visit? Providing i can get up enough courage to fly across the world on my own

Post 20

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

The 16th of this month wouldn't even be too early. If you work up the finances, vacation time and courage ... we will make as much time as you'd like.

Key: Complain about this post