This is the Message Centre for ~:*-Venus-*:~

Pond dipping.

Post 1

~:*-Venus-*:~

A couple of days ago, i noticed a large amount of extinct pond snail shells in my pond. The shell turns white once the snail has gone. Anyway it started me wondering if there was a problem with the water, if it had somehow become contaminated.
Today i took the rash decision to clean out the pond before spring starts. Anyone that has ever had the task of cleaning out a pond will know that it's not the best job in the world.
So i started bailing out some of the water into a large container, the idea being that anything living would stay in that while the pond was cleaned. I found plenty of 'live' snails, which was a relief. There were also some shrimp type creatures and also some very ugly round water bug things smiley - yuk i've no idea what they were.
The biggest surprise, that kind of made me wish i had'nt started this job, was the number of newts. There were 10 adults, including 2 males and numerous babies, which were obviously from last years batch. It's not unusual for some newts to remain in the 'infant' stage when food is short and then develop to an adult the following season.
Once i had started to bail out the pond, i had no option but to continue as i had already dumped a large volume of water, even though it was clear there was no problem with it. There was a inch build up of silt on the botton and i can tell you now, the smell was vile! smiley - ill How anything can live in water with that is beyond me smiley - yuk
So, the pond is now clean and the newts back in thier home. I just hope the intrusion they suffered and the now 'clean' water, is'nt enough to make them vacate the pond altogether smiley - goodluck

Pond dipping.

Post 2

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Venus, I am sure that the newts will appreciate their 'Spring Clean', and may now enable the 'young' to continue their arrested growth.

As for the invertebrates, i would imagine that the round bugs are diving beetles, as they get everywhere, while the 'shrimps' sound more like dragon- or damselfly larvae. Difficult to tell without a picture.

Just hope you enjoy the new burst of life that is bound to start any day now.

smiley - goodluck

smiley - hug

MMF

smiley - musicalnote

Pond dipping.

Post 3

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

As many as possible, fingers and toes crossed for the continuance of the eco-system of the pond. smiley - smiley

Pond dipping.

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

Just imagine you had done that in summer, when the heat would have made it smell even stronger smiley - laugh

Pond dipping.

Post 5

Hi MMF smiley - biggrin
The shrimps are small fresh water shrimps, damsel and dragonfly nymphs are a different thing altogether. Luckily there were none in my small pond as they are carnivorous and would eat the baby newts smiley - smiley The round bug things are more like a tick. They are grey in colour with a bulbous body smiley - yuk Beetle larvae are long and thin, the adults are black. So it's anyone guess what the bug things are.

Bel.
I can send you some of the black sludge if you like, then you can smell it fir yourself smiley - laugh

Pond dipping.

Post 6

Nick
Thanks, i hope the newts will adjust to thier cleaner surroundings smiley - smiley

Pond dipping.

Post 7

hayayfi

Yuckky glad it was you and not smiley - ok me curious how did the shrimp find there way into your pond....I would love to put in a pond for the frogs we get one called a motorbike frog smiley - rofl (for obvious reasons once you hear it) but the minute we attract the frogs we also attact snakes smiley - wah

Pond dipping.

Post 8

Skankyrich [?]

Now you know what I went through having to dredge my pond half a dozen times last year smiley - smiley

Pond dipping.

Post 9

Ah, but yer a guy and you KNOW that you enjoy "skanky" fingers and stuff. smiley - laugh

Pond dipping.

Post 10

Hi Hayayfi smiley - smiley
I suspect the shrimps came via the pond weed and have bred quite happily since. I imagine the diving beetles got in there the same way, though i think they can fly smiley - erm
smiley - laugh A motorbike frog? now thats something i would like to see smiley - biggrin It conjoured up a vision of Toad from 'wind in the wilows' with his goggles and riding a Harley smiley - laugh

Pond dipping.

Post 11

hayayfi

Morning Venussmiley - smiley

your wish is my command smiley - magic

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/frogwatch/pages/frogs/sw/10.asp

will give you both a visual and a listen to our frog

Yes it does rather.... actually I prefer the idea of toad on a Harley than travelling in the horse drawn caravan

Pond dipping.

Post 12

Hi Hayayfi smiley - smiley
That is one cool frog smiley - biggrin Imagine the noise a whole group of those would make! smiley - headhurts

Pond dipping.

Post 13

It is a beautiful and so BRIGHT froggy. And I think Venus had the right idea in another direction, ... it's sound would make for a helluva "ring-tone" on a mobile phone. smiley - rofl

Pond dipping.

Post 14

hayayfi

Because we live in a valley region with a lot of hills and winding roads we are popular with the motor bike groups of the grey brigade the old guys who traded in their suit for a harley or a BMW we often get groups drving through on the weekends as they escape the city I call them the frog bandidts because thats just what they sound like a band of these frogssmiley - biggrin

Pond dipping.

Post 15

I'm sure that you don't call them that to their faces though. smiley - yikes

That is a seriously intimidating sounding frog, ... Nearly as scarey as some of the "micro-bikes" they are now selling. smiley - rofl

Pond dipping.

Post 16

hayayfi

If you think hes bad you should check out the caine toads which have now unfortunately made it to the boarders of WA to reak devestation on yet another of our states smiley - wah I hope they come up with something soon to erradicate these blighters before they get down our way. I would say that of all the states our ecology is the most fragile simply because of our climate I learn't some amazing info this week on how our ecology is tied very heavily to fungus and small mammals simply fascinating smiley - magic

Pond dipping.

Post 17

I've read about the cane toads and how they are pushing out the native amphibians smiley - sadface Like any non-native species of animal or plant, if they like thier new surroundings they just take over smiley - grr
Another thing about cane toads (don't try this at home) The slime they produce on thier skin is a hallucinagenic smiley - drunk I think it was youngsters in America that were 'toad licking' smiley - yuk to get a buzz, after a while the toxins built up in thier system and made them ill....what a surprise! smiley - groan

The association between fungi, insect and plant is fascinating eh! Over here we can now buy dried microrhyzal fungi (spelling?) to help plants grow better. smiley - cool I bought some and put it in with my tree when i planted it, i'll have to wait and see if it works.

Key: Complain about this post