This is the Message Centre for Dr Deckchair Funderlik

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 1

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

The Rubik of Victor Kiam.

"A bottle of wine, and I and thou, singing in the wilderness...

and its my wilderness, so there."

"My name is Victor Kiam.

My mission: a world without beards."

Copyright Victor Kiam.
I liked this Rubik so much, I bought it, and then I added that bit about beards.

You know, how I used to say, 'I liked the razor so much, I bought the company' ?

Well, that was b*******ks. I mean, if I did that with everything I liked, I'd own McDonalds, Panasonic, Playboy and Acapulco by now. But I think I'll buy this Dr Funderlik chap, and have him shaved. He's a hairy menace, that's what he is, and he should be removed from society.

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 2

Boots

Dear Doctor
will you please suscribe to your fan mail in the post? How else are you going to have your ego soothed?
take care
boots

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 3

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I've crossed that Rubik myself.

Bull Durham? I loved the film so much I bought a Minor League team smiley - biggrin

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

That speech Costner delivers about astroturf and 'long slow wet kisses that last for three whole days...'

Well, obviously not kisses *with* astroturf, but anyone who's seen the film will know the speech I mean.

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

There are many, many fine speeches and scenes in that film smiley - biggrin Like the one on the pitcher's mound where they're trying to work out a whole bunch of stuff like what to give the couple who are getting married smiley - smiley

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 6

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

smiley - laugh*attracted to hairy menaces*
smiley - disco

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 7

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

I don't subscribe to my Post entries, Boots, as that would be very egotistical. Instead I just go and check the page every five minutes. smiley - smiley

Wow, from Victor Kiam to Kevin Costner in the space of one posting. Was that random or is there some connection there?

Beware of hairy menaces abbi, they're all smoothies underneath .. smiley - smiley

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 8

Ellen

smiley - erm What is a Rubik? Are we talking about that little colored cube? and who is Victor Kiam? *totally lost here*

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 9

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

Erno Rubik is the name of the Hungarian professor who invented the Rubik's Cube, which is the little coloured thing. But he is completely irrelevant to what's going on here.... smiley - smiley

A Rubik is also a form of verse, and the most famous is the ones written by Omar Khayamm hundreds of years ago. The Rubik of Omar Khayamm features the lines (sort of) "A bottle of wine and I and thou, singing in the wilderness."

Victor Kiam was the owner of Remington shavers, and he used to make tv adverts where he would come on and hold up an electric shaver and say "I liked it so much, I bought the company!"

I thought it would be fun to mix up Omar Khayamm with Victor Kiam, as they are kind of opposites in many ways.. smiley - smiley

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 10

Ellen

*giggle*

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Hey, Doc... I just spotted you from behind as you flounced out of the Artists group - what's with that? smiley - ermsmiley - artistsmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - run

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 12

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

Hi Peet, I've posted to the group now.

You know, I never twigged that you were one and the same Peet until now smiley - smiley

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 13

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

"There can be only one!"

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 14

Just read your parting shot on the Yahoo! group - verbose, ain't ya... smiley - silly

But (almost) seriously, when you said you got the feeling Amy was in charge, that's because she does so much work for the group. I can't be absolutely certain, but I think she was the first member, and has the longest memory for little quirks of "preference" expressed by Italics previously. If she says something like that "floating question mark" point was discussed in the backlog, we all tend to believe her. We're all too lazy to go and look, and Yahoo! has an even less useable search that hootoo! (Unlikely, but true!)

Mina runs the group as (a very small) part of her paid duties at hootoo towers; Jimster et.al. follow the threads and drop in comments occasionally, but Amy does more actual work on the scheme than all the Italics put together, and she doesn't get paid for it, or allowed or illustrate her own entries, or any real perks that aren't available to a first-time artist like yourself. Her suggestion that you read the backlog and make up the list of "unwritten" rules wasn't that unreasonable, since you seemed to feel strongly that it was required, and she, recently, seems to be slogging out about a graphic a day for the scheme while still finding time to set up the file area, maintain the galleries etc. I think you'll find, rereading your post, that you've committed the same sins of "unappreciation" that you're complaining of. Be nice to Amy; she prefers to spend her time drawing than typing long, gushing welcomes, but that doesn't make her any less a nice person. smiley - cheerup

Sorry if that came off like a bit of a lecture. smiley - blush I should obviously be spending more time drawing than typing, too... smiley - biggrin

And remember, if you think the scheme needs changing for the better, it's easier to achieve that from the inside. I only joined up to dilute the "house style", because I hate all those flat areas of colour with black outlines. So far, I don't think I've used the same drawing style twice in two different images... smiley - artistsmiley - laugh

The Rubik of Victor Kiam

Post 15

Dr Deckchair Funderlik

Hi Peet,

I just noticed this. Thanks for the reply.

I want to keep this off-site as much as possible. I am sure my email address is still available from the group, and I would be happy if you could email me privately from there.

Key: Complain about this post