A Conversation for Great Horror Movies

Scarier when you're younger..

Post 1

Binaryboy

Scary movies are better when you are a kid. I remember being scared out of my wits by movies like The Omen, American Werewolf in London, and even some of the Hammer House of Horrors, like The Devil Rides out. In particular, I remember watching the TV movie of Salem's Lot, and finding the bit where the boy comes up to the window through the mist so disturbing I couldn't carry on watching it. I saw this movie again recently and just thought it was risible.

My friend saw The Omen as a kid and was so frightened he slept with a Bible that night; he was worried that if he let go of it, the Devil was gonna get him.

I remember finding films like The Terminator and Aliens II very frightening as well; what the British Board of Film Classification would say contains 'strong threat or menace'

I find it's better to watch scary movies with girls, because us guys just sit around trying to act blasé about the zombie's head coming off. If you watch horror films with girls most of them (well, the ones I know, anyway) get REALLY scared, which transmits it to you, in an enjoyable way though. I'm just an emotion-sucking parasite at heart, y'know.

suck suck

BB

Post 2

PQ

I watched american werewolf in london when I was about 9 and found it dull - I don't think I really knew what was going onsmiley - erm

One film that really gave me the shudders when I was little (and please don't laugh I still get icked out by the thought now) was Gremlins...specifically when the bloke gets dragged underneath the table (and then in my mind eaten alive slowly by evil muppets)

I love scary films....but they do get to me.

I saw the ring (american version) a couple of weeks ago and I still get moments where I get paranoid.

I watched silence of the lambs when I was 13. I was on my own in the house and it was about 3am. I was fine until it finished and I had to go to bed...found myself going round the house checking the doors/windows were all locked...and then I had to go an unlock a couple *just in case he was already inside*smiley - laugh

One film that I refuse to watch again is (and I always forget the title so I'll just go and check) Event Horizon. After watching every time I shut my eyes I started seeing gross images...lasted for about a weeksmiley - yuk

Post 3

Binaryboy

SPOILER ALERT !!!! (for the film Se7en)

That's funny. Event Horizon gave me a bit of a titter, and I didn't find Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs scary. The villian that I did find very frightening is Kevin Spacey in Se7en, when he's just talking to Brad Pitt at the end.

It's strange, isn't it, the way that certain horror films are too strong. Like curries. You have a korma, and that's not enough, and then you want a madras, and that's not enough either (but you are sweating), and then you want a VINDALOO!!! and ohmigod, it's much too strong! Back to Kormas for a while (or lager of the mind, which is actually normal lager I suppose).

I don't know, if I had kids, if I'd let them watch my zombie movies. Probably not. But nature would probably find a way...

Have a good time at Glasto.

BB

Post 4

PQ

See I didn't find se7en scarey just left me feeling a bit dirty (and sloth was grosssmiley - yuk)

It wasn't anthony hopkins that creeped me out in SotL it was the bloke with the scary deep voice

Post 5

LeeCipher

Glad to see someone else mention "Event Horizon". Even though some of it was a bit corny (especially when the one victim... I mean character... with the crippled son goes hunting for him in the bowels of the ship when she KNOWS he's back home on earth) the general premise was pretty cool. I'm looking for this one on DVD and hoping that there's some bonus stuff that might flesh out the story a bit more

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more