This is the Message Centre for Bluebottle

16.6.2014 – London's In the Way

Post 1

Bluebottle

Yesterday I did the London to Brighton Bike Ride, and though I enjoyed it, I have come to the conclusion that there are two minor problems with the ride; namely London and (to a much lesser extent) Brighton. London just gets in the way, stopping the ride from flowing. From the start in London it was a case of cycling along the road with 30,000 others as far as the first traffic light, where all movement stopped except for what I call the 'Ikea Shuffle', where you're not really moving, but not really standing still either, but slowly edging forward along a road, waiting for the light to turn green and allow 12 cyclists to move, while the hordes behind are trapped in a wedge shuffling forward and waiting for their turn to be the 12 chosen ones. Only for the process to repeated a dozen yards down the road at the next of an endless stream of traffic lights, while uncountable empty London buses labelled 'Out of Service' swarmed in and out of traffic, determined to mow down all cyclists in their way.

Brighton was similar, but without the buses. But although the London and Brighton ends of the London to Brighton Bike Ride were disappointing, I really enjoyed the 'to'.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

16.6.2014 – London's In the Way

More Conversations for Bluebottle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more