This is the Message Centre for Teuchter

Not so good things about not working

Post 1

Teuchter

My bank balance is severely depleted and my right hand's very sore from overdoing the secateuring in the garden.

Since my new job's unlikely to start before June, I'm thinking about registering with an agency to do some temping.
Not something I view with much enthusiasm as some of the places they send you are absolutely dire.
Ah well - nothing ventured, nothing banked.

Post 2

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I did a bit of temping (smiley - laugh almost let a freudian typo slip through there - tempting!) after I quit my PhD and it wasn't actually that bad - would you do office-type stuff or dental hygenist-locuming?

I actually quite enjoyed the office work, althouhg had to learn to pad the work I was given because the first couple of jobs I got finished by lunchtime and got sent home early, so got paid less!

smiley - goodluck

Post 3

Cheerful Dragon

I've tried temping. I'm an ex-software engineer with an MSc in Computing, so there's no job they could give me that I couldn't do with my eyes shut. But the companies (and sometimes the agencies) are only in your experience, not what you're capable of. So I ended up not being put forward for many jobs, even though I fiddled my CV to make it look like I did have the experience they needed.

Post 4

Teuchter

Cheerful Dragon - lovely to see you smiley - smiley How's life with you and R?

I'm thinking more of the second option, Kelli - but am a bit reluctant because I'm so used to working with chairside assistance these days and you don't get that when you're temping.
Maybe I'll just dig out the Fifty Interesting Ways with Beans recipe book again?

*wonders if Waitrose would give her a temp job on the tills?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Teuchter

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more