A Conversation for Ramon's Cafe, Cardiff, Wales, UK

Cathays

Post 1

Trout Montague

Ramons - where's that - I used to live just 'round from The Woodville. On ... erm ... Miskin Street. There's a sort of triangular park out front. Or was.

Cathays

Post 2

Ste

You know Salisbury road? Go down thingy street towards the union (back of the union). It's near T&A kebab place and the Firedrake n Firkin (now called Gassy Jacks). It's over the road from the Happy Shopper...

Any clearer? smiley - ok

Stesmiley - earth

Cathays

Post 3

Trout Montague

Near The Mackintosh?

Cathays

Post 4

Ste

The Mackintosh is on Salisbury road too, but the other end. If you follow the road round towards and past the Curry house, Chinese, laundromat, etc you should get there...

GASSY JACKS

Post 5

FrancisAlbertCorneilius

WEIRDEST THING - WHEN I MMOVED TO CARDIFF 12 YEARS AGO THAT PUB WAS CALLED GASSY JACKS THEY CHANGED TO THE FIREDRAKE ABOUT 3 YEARS LATER AND NOW ITS REVERTED TO THE OLD NAME AGAIN - IVE NEVER KNOWN ANOTHER PUB TO DO THAT - SPECIALLY AFTER SO LONG A TIME

GASSY JACKS

Post 6

Ste

I liked the firedrake, watched many rugby matches there. ANd it also appeared in the great film 'Human Traffic'...

GASSY JACKS

Post 7

Gaggle Halgrunt

Sorry for butting in....

Gassy Jacks is called Gassy Jacks again? Fantastic! We never stopped calling it that anyway. Was anyone there when Tom Jones popped in unexpectedly and did an impromptu gig? - 1994 I think.

Yes, Ramon's is legendary.

I used to live at 140 Miskin Street - opposite the triangular park.

GASSY JACKS

Post 8

Gaggle Halgrunt

This is bringing back memories!

T&A kebab shop - the worst kebabs ever, but you just had to do it after a tankful, swearing "never again" in the morning. We then found Adonis kebabs on City Road - worth the longer walk.

The baguette shop on Woodville Rd, (next door to the dodgy massage parlour that had a number of names over the years).

The Roath Tandoori indian restaurant - on Mackintosh Place, Death Junction.

So, were you guys regulars at the Tavern/Y Dafarn and the Jive Hive in the union?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more