This is the Message Centre for kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

NZ town evacuated in bomb scare...

Post 1

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

... not really. A local farmer left 65 sticks of wet and unstable dynamite on the steps of the Balclutha police station because he didn't know how to dispose of them (he then phoned them and let them know it was there).

They evacuated the centre of town until the bomb squad get there from Christchurch (600km away).

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/60579/dynamite-on-police-station-steps-forces-evacuation

I love living in NZ. Long may it remain a backwater smiley - biggrin

Post 2

KB

smiley - laugh

I wonder if terrorists have tried it before - the disingenuous defence. "smiley - doh Whaddaya mean it could have exploded? smiley - huh "

Sounds like the guy was lucky to walk away, though.

Post 3

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Blimey!! smiley - yikes

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - snork I wonder if my Father still has the large box of unstable old ememergency flairs (like you'd let off on a ship that were sinking), in the back of the garage... He keeps threatening to detinate them to see what happens smiley - snork Dynomite though smiley - coolsmiley - wow

Post 5

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Oooh, flares smiley - diva

The farmer was apparently luck to not blow himself up transporting the dynamite, it was that unstable.

I'm curious to know the back story eg has he been given the run around by authorities on what to do with the stuff?

Post 6

Probably the only way to dispose of it safely, and properly* is quite expensive, and he'd have had to pay a lot for someone to come sort it out... A-- Dad had a simular thing a few years back from a job, where he was the only person the people concerned could afford, to dispose of the flairs, and also of some aspestos... err probably not legal mind smiley - blushsmiley - angel

Post 7

That's a good point. I wonder if they know who the farmer is and if he'll be charged. I suppose they can tell where the phone call came from if they really want to.

Post 8

Trin Tragula

Hobbits. Don't believe this 'farmer' pretext. Crazed hobbit extremists. Got to be.

Post 9

smiley - yikes The only safe option is to nucke them from orbit!

Post 10

Trin Tragula

It's the only way smiley - erm

(I feel the need to chew on a cigar)

Removed

Post 11

This post has been removed.

Post 12

Trin Tragula

One ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them to non-negotiable contracts or else we'll move the whole thing to Ealing bwa ha ha ha ha ha...

(The U.K. News is giving the impression that NZ is largely populated by people dressed up as hobbits at the moment smiley - bigeyes)

Post 13

smiley - snork Really, why are they so desperate to want the film made there anyhow? Does it really bring in that much extra tourism or money that the government can let the film people just get away with not paying taxes... seems crazy smiley - weird Though I guess not more crazy than previous governments, local councils and the like in the UK, who just ignore whatever laws they like wehn it suits their aims in some arena or other... Like building factorys on so-called protected, conservation areas etc, because 'it brings jobs in'... so much for the law protecting those conservation areas then smiley - huhsmiley - weird Do you have enough small people there then for all the hobbit extras? smiley - snork

Post 14

My post has been removed smiley - erm The long arm of Peter Jackson I suppose smiley - rolleyes

Yeah, lets move the whole thing to Ealing smiley - biggrin

They do have to pay some taxes 2legs, but in the amped up drama that's been going on recently, the solution appears to be that (a) the NZ govt is passing new labour laws under urgency solely so that The Hobbit can be made here, and (b) is giving an *extra* $US25 million tax break to the producers (for the same reason).

Post 15

I'm just going to repost two edited versions of my post, because I'm not sure what was wrong with it....

Post 16

Hobbits! Don't talk to me about [benign swear word (hobbit-esque even) that rhymes with brigand] hobbits smiley - grr

Although now that you mention it, maybe it's a convoluted plot by the hobbit extremists to blackmail the NZ government into changing our labour laws to suit Hollywood, and letting the producers not pay tax here if they agree to make the movie here. Oh but wait, the NZ government has already done that smiley - erm

Post 17

Hmm, I can't really see what is wrong with the second paragraph, as it's obviously a response to Trin's joke about hobbit extremists. Have I slurred the good name of the NZ govt or the people wanting The Hobbit to be make in NZ? It was a JOKE, mods (except for the last sentence, which is actually true).

Post 18

Trin Tragula

Is Peter Jackson in charge of moderation round here these days? smiley - lurk

The guy on the news speaking on behalf of Ealing or wherever was really deeply oily - he was trying to give the impression that in his heart of hearts he was firmly in favour of standing shoulder to shoulder with his brothers and sisters in NZ but, hey, times are tough and it's an ill wind and, hey, you know, we're always ready etc, etc, smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more