This is the Message Centre for Smudger879n

Busy Beez!

Post 1

Smudger879n

We have what we call a "natures corner" in our garden, right next to the tin shed were we keep my wife's electric scooter.

The rain dripping from the roof leaves holes in the grass along the length of the shed. The other day I was standing watching the beez collecting the pollen from the Hebe bush, next to the shed, there are so many of them, that they sound like engines from an old bomber from WW2.

As I stood there I saw a bee emerge from one of the holes, then another, then more going down the hole.

The following day they were using two holes, like a front and back door, to their hive, which must be under the shed floor.

I saw a young bee making it's way in, then it suddenly came out backwards, followed by a much larger adult bee, who flew straight back to the Hebe bush.

The young one made it's way to the other hole before heading in, it must have been using the wrong door?

That bush only blooms for about ten days every summer, and it brings in all kinds of wild life, even a black bird, we call blacky, as she nests inside that bush every year as well.

All this was a great experience for our G/kids who were all excited at watching the busy Beez come and go from their underground hive.

We also had a pair of doves, nesting really low in the tree in our front garden, that was another experience for our G/kids, as they could easily see the nest from the ground.
I had to "discourage" one of the neighbours cats from getting to the nest, a couple of times?

The nest is empty now, but we did get to see the Youngster before it flew the nest.
smiley - ok

Busy Beez!

Post 2

bobstafford

Sounds a busy garden don't know if underground bees are a special sub species but its interesting.

Cats do tend to thin out the bird population haw did you discourage cats they can be determined little pests.

smiley - ok

Busy Beez!

Post 3

Websailor

Glad you are enjoying wildlife, I find it such a tonic.

Websailor smiley - dragon

Busy Beez!

Post 4

bobstafford

They are singing fit to burst here, buzzards are calling as well. Woodpeckers and falcons about this afternoon.
There were chiff chaff's around as well all day.

smiley - biggrin

Busy Beez!

Post 5

Smudger879n

I chased the cat with so much vigour that I think I put it off the whole idea of even entering our garden again.smiley - ok

Aye! WS it was great just to have the time to be out and enjoy our garden, as one of my wife's lads came to sit with his Mum, which gave me the chance to get out there,smiley - winkeye

I think I should tape the Beez enter and leave via the holes in the ground, as it's the first time I have ever seen that happen.

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 6

bobstafford

Good idea you can publish a link smiley - magic

Busy Beez!

Post 7

Smudger879n

I filmed some video today, had to use my camera, as I couldn't get either myI/Phone or I/Pad to record video?

I have since found out how to do it, so will try again tomorrow. smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 8

bobstafford

Excellent idea looking forward to hearing how you get on.smiley - cheers

Busy Beez!

Post 9

Websailor

M too.

Busy Beez!

Post 10

smudger879n

I've took some video footage of them on my I/Phone, but I've no idea how to post it, but I might be able to send via Email if anyone wants to see itsmiley - ok

I've been having great problems trying to log in recently, but I managed to get in just now, but I can't use my Brunel layout, as that seems to be the problem smiley - erm

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 11

Smudger879n

The Beez's seem to be dying off now? I've seen around six of them dead near the entrance to their hive, (or what ever you call it) under our shed.

Not so much activity either now, but I think I will wait a while before trimming the grass, just in case?smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudgef.

Busy Beez!

Post 12

bobstafford

Getting cooler now they appear to be getting ready for winter smiley - cheers

Busy Beez!

Post 13

Smudger879n

Cheers Bob, I was cutting the grass today, and I had to move around six of them, they seemed to be dozy, didn't want to run over them with the mower? (I know, I'm a big softy?)smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 14

Websailor

You are not a softy, we need every bee we can hang on to. I will kill wasps but never bees.

Busy Beez!

Post 15

bobstafford

Websailor is right beesvare important smiley - ok

Busy Beez!

Post 16

Smudger879n

Aye! That's true, I had a look at the entry holes to their nest today, no sign of any movement?

Looks like they have gone,....I wonder if they will return next summer?

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 17

Smudger879n

I've booked again smiley - blushsmiley - erm

I went and posted my last post in the wrong thread???

I put it the Bad News thread, instead of the Busy Beez one, sorry about that?smiley - erm

( it must be an age thing smiley - winkeye )

Busy Beez!

Post 18

bobstafford

Or not enough alesmiley - ok

Busy Beez!

Post 19

Smudger879n

Well them Beez's that built their nest under the shed last year, have just given me a big repair job in the shed floor?

I was in the shed checking the battery on the scooter, and my foot fell through the floor!

Them Beez's must have made a mound in the earth, which pushed it up to the stage where it touched the under side of the floor boards, which rotted the wood?

I had levelled the ground so there was a gap, before I laid the floor.

So, I had to do a repair patch job, which took ages, as I had to fix the rotten joist as well?

smiley - cheersSmudger.

Busy Beez!

Post 20

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

smiley - yikes

You bee careful, ya hear??? smiley - hug

lil xx

Key: Complain about this post