This is the Message Centre for toybox

Wow, what a dream! part 3

Post 1

toybox

Now you may or may not know that I am learning DGS (German sign language). So...

smiley - drumroll

It's the first time I used DGS in a dream!

Unfortunately it was too realistic*, which means I was only able to tell the other guy that I didn't understand what he was saying because I was just a beginner. But still.

* in a dreamlike sort of way

Post 2

Maria

Part 3? smiley - huh what have I missed?

You are doing quick advances then, it´s said that when you dream in the language you are learning it means that you are assimilating it well.

smiley - envy I´m looking forward to starting to learn it too. You know.

Post 3

toybox

Part 1 is here F104190?thread=6432344
Part 2 is there F104190?thread=6659832

So when we meet we will try to communicate in our respective sign languages, confusing everybody else smiley - biggrin

It's really a fascinating language, for example how the grammar must be expressed with body language or facial expressions. Also you have to be very observant smiley - yikes (which, as you may know, is a huge problem for us guys). Like, signs may have different meanings when done clockwise or anti-clockwise (I think smiley - erm).

Post 4

Maria

Mrs Zen has posted a very interesting link about sing language in British English, the sequel. It souds more difficult to learn it than I thought. But I still have the wish to do it.

<<Also you have to be very observant (which, as you may know, is a huge problem for us guys). <<

nah, it depends on the guy´s sensivity,and as you may, should? know, it´s not exclusive of women.

Post 5

toybox

Fascinating link indeed smiley - cheers I really need to go and mingle with deaf people.

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

TRiG has written a guide entry about sign language. His mum does it, and I think he's learning it, too.

Must be dream language day today. I dreamt I was going through a tube slide to the Périgord, singing: Mon Auvergnat...

Woke up and found a few chansons (smiley - smooch) which I'm still trying to download at a 'speed' of 21kb/s. My connection doesn't like downloads. smiley - groan

Post 7

toybox

smiley - cheers

Post 8

toybox

I found A538067 by Mikey the Humming Mouse and gelfling. And A13785780smiley - whistle

Post 9

toybox

Sorry for triple posting -- found Trig's entry, A34088024 (Written Sign).

Post 10

You can call me TC

I have always maintained that you don't dream in languages - but if the language involves your hands and body, then I suppose there's no denying it.

The other night I dreamt I played a piano duet with Bill Bailey - he was very nice and adapted his playing to my amateur plonking.

Post 11

toybox

Actually the signing was just part of the dream. I found out that the technician who came to my flat (which was my brother's actually) to repair the doorbell (?) knew DGS, and I took the opportunity to try out what little I knew.

But it is interesting, what you said about not dreaming in languages. Have there been studies about it? I should ask my teacher if she dreams she voice-speaks sometimes.

Post 12

Malabarista - now with added pony

I definitely do dream in languages!

Post 13

toybox

smiley - ghost

*waves*

Post 14

aka Bel - A87832164

So do I, Mala. smiley - ok

Post 15

You can call me TC

Are you sure you don't just transfer it to language afterwards to be able to relate what happened?

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes. Why would I transfer anything to English, or even a French song?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for toybox

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more