A Conversation for BBC Globes

Peer Review: A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 1

And Introducing... A Leg

Entry: BBC Globes - A863769
Author: And Introducing... A Leg (Joan of Ark. Where's Ark?) - U194118

This could do with pictures, really, but never mind!

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 2

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Ask and ye shall receive:

Batwings
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/tv/testcards/video/video0.shtml

... and there are links below this to all the other idents.

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 3

Witty Ditty

Hiya!

I like this entry, but I do agree, it is in need of a few links to pictures - I've recently written an entry on the BBC 2 ident (shameless plug here: A892370), and found a few refernces on the web quite handly - they're under Further Watching, down at the bottom of the entry smiley - smiley

smiley - earth - like it smiley - biggrin

Stay smiley - cool,
WD

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

One of my favourite air-balloon variants was during the first screening of Walking with Dinosaurs. As a dinosaur (an allosaur, I think) bobbed into shot, the air-balloon floated across the screen in the distance.

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 5

Spiff

Hiya, smiley - smiley

I like this a lot too, smiley - ok!

Did you independently just fancy doing these 2, or was it a conspiracy? Have you got someone working as we speak on the ITV Ident entry? smiley - biggrin

I'd guess you guys saw my idea about using WD's final section in this entry... so i won't repeat it, smiley - biggrin

I agree about the links - that works so well in WD's piece that i feel it sets the standard. Sorry to sound as if i'm handing out work, smiley - blush

Anyway, have a nice trip to the front page,
and thanks for the trip down you-know-where Lane, smiley - biggrin
spiff

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 6

Mu Beta

*Agrees with most of the above*

I remember someone pointing out, mid-90s, that the BBC didn't have a clue which way round their globes were supposed to spin. The main BBC globe spun in a clockwise direction, whereas the smaller one being used for BBC sport at the time spun anticlockwise.

B

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 7

Witty Ditty

Right - as promised, the coding for the list at the end of the 2 entry:

Here's a history of the BBC 1 idents, from the birth of the BBC channel to 1997.
And here are a few of the more recent ones:

Acrobat - Three acrobats in white tumble gracefully whilst holding red fabric to support them in the air
Ballet - In the ruins of a castle, several ballet dancers move slowly from one balancing position to another
Capoeira - Two people on a rooftop practice the martial art of capoeira
Festival - The camera focuses in on two girls having a great time at a music festival, and slowly tracks back to reveal a huge crowd who are also feeling the same way
Haka - Don't mess with One, or it might just send these boys round; a group of rugby players perform the genuinely scary Haka, an ancient Maori war chant
Hip Hop - Three guys dance in a basketball court to some funked up BBC ident music
Salsa - A couple dance salsa-style, and the camera tracks back to reveal that the whole room is filled with couples doing the same thing
Tapdogs - Builders as tapdancers? Surely not! But One moves in mysterious ways...

It should be a simple cut and paste, but if you have any problems, please don't hesitiate to post back smiley - smiley Feel free to reword to your own liking too smiley - smiley

Spiffy: I think it was a independent sort of thing - I'd been meaning to do this for months, and as last weekend was the only free weekend I'm going to be having for a long while, I decided to write about little 2 then - but it is spooky though smiley - weird

Anyway - I hope the coding works!

Stay smiley - cool,
WD

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 8

And Introducing... A Leg

Works perfectly -- thanks very much! I'll work on putting links to the diggerent BBC1 idents when I've got more time.smiley - smiley

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 9

Spiff

Liffism of the day:

diggerent; adj. astonishing; which leaves the hearer/observer stunned, gobsmacked.

smiley - biggrin

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 10

And Introducing... A Leg

Just in case anyone was wondering, I've removed this from Peer Review in order to have more time to add links etc to it. I don't have much time at the moment.

A863769 - BBC Globes

Post 11

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Does that mean we have to wait another week next time you submit it? smiley - yikessmiley - wah

(Really looking forward to this being picked eventually, by the way)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more