This is the Message Centre for Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 1

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

It's been 40 years since the Aberfan diaster

smiley - rosesmiley - peacedove

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 2

bobstafford

No sorry dit not have a clue...smiley - sadface

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 3

serenity

i didnt realise it was the exact date today.

my memories of it were, that my uncle who was in the police force in the walsall area at the time, was sent on secondment to help out and clear up the mess left behind.
i distinctly remember him coming home and telling us all about the horrors of it all smiley - sadface

being only 11 at the time, it didnt register as some great disaster.
its only in later years as things came to light that you realise that it was a tradegy that could have been avoided.

smiley - rose

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 4

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I was born 2 years later but I've always known about it, there was a kind of documentry on that mum was watching, The men of the tip removal commitee formed a Male Voice Choir (After the tips had been removed) that performs for charity to this day

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 5

bobstafford

Thanks for the reminder It is right it should be remembered

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 6

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

S'ok smiley - hug

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 7

bobstafford

smiley - hug

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 8

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

smiley - biggrin

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 9

You can call me TC

I remember it vividly, but didn't realise that it was that long ago, or when it was.

smiley - rose

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 10

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

I wasn't born then, in fact I think my parents were still living in NY back then, but if I had been I'd remember it I expect, but I probably wouldn't remember the exact date. Growing up in Birmingham while the IRA were blowing things up on a regular basis has caused me to grow up with a very pragmatic view of life

smiley - cheers

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 11

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

A517673

I watched "Aberfan - the untold story" last night.

It's not actually the 40th anniversary until 21 October:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/october/21/newsid_2705000/2705335.stm

smiley - rosesmiley - rose

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 12

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

I knew it was coming up

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 13

aussiechick1975......

I wasn't born then but my parents were still in the UK at the time and they remembered it. I remember them telling me about it and I remember seeing a show about it years ago when I first moved over here. I had no idea that it was so many years ago. smiley - rose

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 14

Lash LeRue

Both of my grandfathers were in the IRA during the War of Independence, then after the Treaty one was Pro-treaty the other Anti-treaty so when I was young any family meeting was full of them arguing and remembering those killed in the wars. The only thing both of them agreed on was the fact that civilian bombing campaigns by the new IRA were atrocities. My paternal grand father would go on for ages about how, and I quote, "Those B****d's should be tied to a lamppost and get a pull of a hurley from every single person in the Isles." He would refuse to use the term "British Isles".smiley - biggrin

I still figure he was on the right track though.

smiley - rose

Anyone Else Remembered?

Post 15

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Thanks for that LeRue, an interesting story

Key: Complain about this post