This is the Message Centre for The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

weird day in the life of a junior technician

Post 1

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

So we get in these used Dell computers and I can't figure out how to open the darn things. Instead of blundering blindly ahead and breaking the plastic however, I turned to Google. Sitting there, I couldn't believe I was asking for help on how to open something that's right next to me from somewhere across the world. This is what I found:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ban_gx1/rrsff1.htm

I have never seen a computer case that opens like that before. It's an ingenious design however. I'm becoming more and more impressed with Dell. Even though I personally custom-build, I think I'm going to be recommending Dell to people who ask me for two reasons:

1. Their hardware works and has a somewhat decent track record, unlike HP.
2. Their stuff is built to work with anybody else's stuff - a win-win for both Dell and the consumer.
3. They were smart enough to put instructions for stupid people like me to figure out how to open their ingeniously designed new cases.
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 2

The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

oh wait that's three reasons smiley - doh
smiley - towelNerd42

Post 3

Thorn

I like that brand too.

*Nod* I use a Dell laptop because: a. they seem to leave a good (or at least decent enough for the likes of me/my day to day use) amount of space for later modifications or future upgrades,

and

b. It has an impressive shelf-life. smiley - erm, I mean that although some parts get replaced and occasionally add-ons are mounted or get attached to deal with newer kinds of peripherals (e.g. adding more USB ports because people use them more for things now than when it was new smiley - winkeye that type of thing), on the whole it's about 7 or more years old and for the most part still very much functional.

smiley - laugh It was a hand-me-down but the even older one the person I got it from had was a Toshiba that was very obsolete in several functions and had only some of the drives still functional.

Which isn't to necessarily knock that brand because when cost counts I've heard things about Toshiba parts being cheaper sometimes than some of the other brands.
Not sure how accurate that is because it was based on here-say mainly.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Artist Formerly Known as Nerd42

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more