Rugby League

1 Conversation

The Australian version of rugby.



Played only on two states of Australia, this particular incarnation of football is possibly the most dangerous of the "Low Forehead" sports, due to it's obscure and outrageously peverse rules, which include only being allowed to pass the ball to members of your team who are behind you.



The primary state in which this game is played, Queensland, is particularly vicious in it's treatment of minority groups living in their demographic, such as homo sapiens. This perhpaps explains the state-wide fascination with this violent game. Unlike other football based games, rugby league uses no padding, as any players who are cought trying to soften the body blows are stripped naked, tied to a light post and called a "Big Girl's Blouse" until they cry.



The biggest competetion in the rugby year is called the "State of Origin", where a team for each state is put together from the best players currently not comatose in a pub. An added wrinkle is that players must play for the state in which they played their first professional game of rugby, irrespective of who they play for at the time.



Interestingly enough, while the State of Origin has been held for 26 years, it had never occured to the organising body to plan for the competetion to end in a tie, which finally happened this last week.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A99551

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more