A Conversation for A Life in Meccano

NIce Entry

Post 1

Websailor

Hi, Phil,

My, did you take me back to my childhood? An only child, and a girl to boot, I had a Meccano set, a train set and all sorts of tools etc. My Mum was of a Victorian view, that girls should play the piano, sing, do embroidery, sew and wear pretty dresses. My Dad was an engineer, electrician and cabinet maker and had wanted a boy! I am not sure who won the battle for heart and mind, but it certainly accounts for my very varied interests, and a preference for trousers and getting my hands dirty, so I guess Dad won!

Happy Hols.

Websailorsmiley - dragon


NIce Entry

Post 2

Phil Yabutz

Thanks WS
That was a piece I wrote at the Ruskin College creative writing course a few weeks back. Like all good pieces it just flew onto the page. It was triggered by a chapter from Simon Armitage's novel "Points North" on his fathers tyre selling business. Armitage is a Yorkshireman and a one of my favourite poets. I often read his poem "Kid" as a performance piece at poetry nights in a local pub. It's about Batman and Robin now Batman has grown old and Robin has grown up with "attitude".

smiley - cheers

Phil


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for A Life in Meccano

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more