A Conversation for Harlan Ellison, the Man and the Attitude!

A decent summary

Post 1

Fruitbat (Eric the)

I've been a fan of Ellison for about fifteen years. Probably longer than that, as I don't remember when I first saw 'A Boy and His Dog'...which somehow caused me to want to read the short story.
Since then I've been making every effort to keep up with my collection (only the comics have escaped me so far). As I have many of the originals, I've had no desire to collect the reprinted hardbacks of early works.
According to the intro of 'City....', Roddenberry was the prime meddler in mangling that script into something he could emotionally handle. For more details on that, check out the book itself.
I've toyed with doing just what you've done for a couple of years now, but been unwilling to go through the reams of references to do the definitive job....and getting details right is part of what Ellison's about.

I was lucky enough to come across a copy of his script for 'The Starlost' pilot 'Pheonix Without Ashes'.....which staggered me when I read it because 1)how smart it was at a time when television was really dumb (has anything changed?); 2) how well it told the story with pictures, not telegraphing anything...rather, letting us discover as the main character did.

Ellison opened my eyes to the world during the mid-eighties, even though I was reading material that dated from the 60s...so much of it still holds true and is certainly fascinating; really, it's enough to make even the mildest person become a raving counter-culture fanatic.

Are you planning to do more with this, or have you had enough?

Fruitbat


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more