A Conversation for Talking Point: A Good Read

my favourite's

Post 1

helena9

my favourite's are Little women, 39 step's, scrooge,great expection's. black beauty. a good book is when you can lose yourself in the page's


my favourite's

Post 2

Barneys Bucksaws

I also love Little Women, and all the other Alcott books: Little Men, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Good Wives. I have them all. Also Jane Eyre, my all-time favorite, and L.T. Meade's school-girl stories. They were my mothers, and I treasure them all. When I read any of these books its like a visit with old friends.


my favourite's

Post 3

Barneys Bucksaws

I also love Little Women, and all the other Alcott books: Little Men, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Good Wives. I have them all. Also Jane Eyre, my all-time favorite, and L.T. Meade's school-girl stories. They were my mothers, and I treasure them all. When I read any of these books its like a visit with old friends.


my favourite's

Post 4

helena9

hi that's lovely what a treasured gift to have your mum's book's you must get so extra joy out of them when you read them have you ever read or seen the secret garden or anne of green gabel's? smiley - love d xsmiley - rose


my favourite's

Post 5

Barneys Bucksaws

I also have Mom's copy of Secret Garden. For some reason, I never read the Anne books, but I've seen all the TV movies, and loved them all. My Mom believed you should always read good literature, and filled our bookshelves and lives with good books. I treasure Mom's old books, and re-read them often. I hope some day I'll have a granddaughter to pass them on to. I only have a son, and he has his own collection of boys' classics, including Jungle Book 1 and 2, in original form by Kipling. We read them when he was tiny, and can still laugh over the characters. He and I are both constant fans of Dickens, and he has most of them. Christmas Eve isn't complete without the original black and white Christmas Carol with Sir Allistair Sim.


my favourite's

Post 6

helena9

hi yes i do so agree best scrooge ever i have got copys of all the scrooge that they have put on the telly it's a little hobby of mine did you see the modern one with ross kemp the actor who played grant in eastender's? that was quite good a specialy for the younger generation dickens was a good writer i like the old version of great expection's hope to spk again tomorrow x smiley - love d smiley - rose


my favourite's

Post 7

EddJC

I hate to butt in but I'd just like to say personally I think the best Christmas Carol adaptation ever has to be "The Muppet Christmas Carol" by a long way - Michael Caine does a brilliant scrooge, and the muppet madness really adds to the telling of the story..

Edd


my favourite's

Post 8

helena9

nice to have someone else's in put i have never seen the muppet one will have to have a look out for that one i like michael caine he is a good actor xd smiley - rose


my favourite's

Post 9

Barneys Bucksaws

I haven't seen the Ross Kemp, or Muppet one, I'll have to look for them. We rented an American Western one, and it was really well done, a whole different take on it. We have a version with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge, and he's excellent.


my favourite's

Post 10

EddJC

I saw the trailers for the patrick stewart one - it was very amusingsmiley - smiley but again, I've found my perfect christmas carol - interestingly enough though it's the only Muppet film I think is any good. Definately go and watch it!

Eddsmiley - smiley


my favourite's

Post 11

N1NJ4.

have to agree about the muppets, even as a jew i was able to enjoy the spirit of christmas!


my favourite's

Post 12

GraceK

As well as my mum's copy of 'the Secret Garden', I also inherited 'Ballet Shoes' (which I enjoyed when I was small) and 'The Little Bookroom' by Eleanor Farjeon, which is a fantastic selection of short stories - I particularly like the one about the woman who couldn't make up her mind about what colour she wanted her bedroom. A fairy came and asked her 'what's the matter with you lady?' & changed it for her four times. When the lady started sighing about it for a fifth time & wanting a black room, 'the fairy lay on her back & kicked her little legs on the wall, and the walls fell out, the ceiling fell up and the lady was left standing all alone in the dark, cold garden.' Something similar to that - I haven't read it for years but that's still engraved on my brain.

smiley - fairy


my favourite's

Post 13

Barneys Bucksaws

Guess you don't mess with fairies!

I've just finished Green Darkness by Anya Seton, again, another favourite author. I have most of her's, except Katherine. Used to have it, and I have no idea what became of it. Must try and find another copy. She does so much research, you get a history lesson with a romance. British History made easy!


Key: Complain about this post