What did the Romans think of Stonehenge?

0 Conversations

What did the Romans think of Stonehenge?

And who really cares?


There is an odd legend that floats up from the depths of pseudo-Christian rumourology every once in a while. It states that Jeshuah Von Nazareth had hewn crosses as part of his carpentry work... And that the one that he was hung upon was the last one he ever made, with care and love and... and...

Who really cares?

There is enough trash in the New Testament that was added to the legend thirty or seventy years after the fact without dredging up other strange peripheral and irrelevant bits that do nothing more than distract from the real message.

Some wiseacre once remarked that if you took all the pieces of the true cross wandering around the world, you could rebuild the ark with them... Which led some ignoramus to cough up the old joke that the cross of Jeshuah was made from pieces of the ark... which had bits of wood from the Garden of Eden in it... including the Forbidden tree...

I'm still wondering where that angel got that flaming sword from?
And whether it makes a good turkey slicer.
Anybody got an answer?


Off on another tangent: The Nazi regime in Yermany had a fascination with law (insert illegal ampersand here) order. They executed murderers and abortionists just like everyone else. Of course, their fascination with people who like to make the legal system work to their advantage was what got them in trouble in the first place. Yet, the undercurrent of religiosity and provincialism that bubbled under the surface of fascism came to emerge after the war with full force, leading to the incarceration of young women in their own version of the Magdalene laundries.


Which reminds me, the Marsh Arabs are doing pretty well, considering.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A9439734

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more