A Conversation for The Friends of LeisureDistrict's Quotes and Other Stuffs Section...

Friends of LD's Quotes and Other Stuffs Section:Health

Post 41

Rainmaiden

hi kat....thanka for the advice hun, but i can't do yoga 'cos i had a tumor removed fron my spinal chord in '98 and its left me with limited movement in the bottom part of me spine..... i'v thought of acupuncture tho, just havn't looked into it yet!
smiley - cheers
JO


Friends of LD's Quotes and Other Stuffs Section:Health

Post 42

Reality Manipulator

shingles

Dietary changes that may be helpful
Varicella zoster, the virus that causes shingles, is a type of herpes virus. Another herpes virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV), has a high requirement for the amino acid arginine. On the other hand, lysine inhibits HSV replication.1 Therefore, a diet that is low in arginine and high in lysine may help prevent herpes viruses from replicating. For that reason, some doctors advise people with shingles to avoid foods with high arginine-to-lysine ratios, such as nuts, peanuts, and chocolate. Nonfat yogurt and other nonfat dairy can be a healthful way to increase lysine intake. This dietary advice for shingles has not been subjected to scientific study.

Lifestyle changes that may be helpful
Stress and depression have been linked to outbreaks of shingles in some2 3 but not all4 studies. 5 A small, preliminary study found that four children with shingles outbreaks, but who were otherwise healthy, all reported experiencing severe, chronic child abuse when the shingles first appeared.6 Among adults, how a stressful event is perceived appears to be more important than the event itself. In one study, people with singles experienced the same kinds of life events in the year preceding the illness as did people without the condition; however, recent events perceived as stressful were significantly more common among people with shingles.

Nutritional supplements that may be helpful
Adenosine monophosphate (AMP), a compound that occurs naturally in the body, has been found to be effective against shingles outbreaks. In one double-blind trial, people with an outbreak of shingles were given injections of either 100 mg of AMP or placebo three times a week for four weeks. Compared with the placebo, AMP promoted faster healing and reduced the duration of pain of the shingles.7 In addition, AMP appeared to prevent the development of postherpetic neuralgia.8 9

Some doctors have observed that injections of vitamin B12 appear to relieve the symptoms of postherpetic neuralgia.10 11 However, since these studies did not include a control group, the possibility of a placebo effect cannot be ruled out. Oral vitamin B12 supplements have not been tested, but they are not likely to be effective against postherpetic neuralgia.

Some doctors have found vitamin E to be effective for people with postherpetic neuralgia—even those who have had the problem for many years.12 13 The recommended amount of vitamin E by mouth is 1,200–1,600 IU per day. In addition, vitamin E oil (30 IU per gram) can be applied to the skin. Several months of continuous vitamin E use may be needed in order to see an improvement. Not all studies have found a beneficial effect of vitamin E;14 however, in the study that produced negative results, vitamin E may not have been used for a long enough period of time.

Because shingles is caused by a herpes virus, some doctors believe that lysine supplementation could help people with the condition, since lysine inhibits replication of herpes simplex, a related virus. However, lysine has not been shown to inhibit Varicella zoster, nor has it been shown to provide any benefit for people with shingles outbreaks. Therefore, its use in this condition remains speculative.

Herbs that may be helpful
The hot component of cayenne pepper, known as capsaicin, is used to relieve the pain of postherpetic neuralgia. In a double-blind trial, a cream containing 0.075% capsaicin, applied three to four times per day to the painful area, greatly reduced pain.15 In another study, a preparation containing a lower concentration of capsaicin (0.025%) was also effective.16 Two or more weeks of treatment may be required to get the full benefit of the cream.

One case report has been published concerning an elderly woman with postherpetic neuralgia who experienced dramatic pain relief from topical application of 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil to the affected area 3 or 4 times per day.17 Each application produced almost complete pain relief, lasting approximately 6 hours. The woman began to experience redness at the site of application after four weeks of use. The oil was therefore diluted by 80% with almond oil; the diluted preparation did not cause redness, and continued to produce "adequate" though somewhat less-pronounced pain relief.

Licorice has been used by doctors as a topical agent for shingles and postherpetic neuralgia; however, no clinical trials support its use for this purpose. Glycyrrhizin, one of the active components of licorice, has been shown to block the replication of Varicella zoster.18 Licorice gel is usually applied three or more times per day. Licorice gel is not widely available but may be obtained through a doctor who practices herbal medicine.

Wood betony(Stachys betonica) is a traditional remedy for various types of nerve pain. It has not been studied specifically as a remedy for postherpetic neuralgia.


Kat


Friends of LD's Quotes and Other Stuffs Section:Health

Post 43

Reality Manipulator

Sitting Down Exercises

While seated straight up in your chair, forward of the back of the seat. Place the hands softly behind your head. Slowly lift your left leg while lowering your right elbow "down and in" toward the inside of your left knee. The aim is to touch your elbow slightly below the inside of your knee. Return to the starting position and repeat the same movement to the other side. After doing one, exercise repeats each side and count one every time.

Relaxation exercises

"My hands and arms are heavy and warm" (5 times).
"My feet and legs are heavy and warm" (5 times).
"My abdomen is warm and comfortable" (5 times).
"My breathing is deep and even" (10 times).
"My heartbeat is calm and regular" (10 times). "My forehead is cool" (5 times).
"When I open my eyes, I will remain relaxed and refreshed" (3 times).


Friends of LD's Quotes and Other Stuffs Section:Health

Post 44

Reality Manipulator

Michael van Straten is fully experienced in naturopathy, osteopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture and complimentary medicine and has written books on using food as medicine called Super Foods. Michael still is practising as a complimentary doctor in the village of Cheddington.

Michael spent the first ten years of his life in hospital. He had terrible ear infections, which actually turned out in the end to be an infection of the bones of my skull. They removed big chunks of my skull and did not think that he would live. He survived and has never been sick again. He then vowed to become a doctor which he did become. Michael has also worked at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, which is his local hospital and a world leader in the field of spinal injuries. He was not happy with the attiude of taking a pill for every ill and would like to go back to a time where people used diet and nutrition as way of healing themselves.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more