A Conversation for Picture Quiz: General Knowledge - Answer

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery

Post 1

Bluebottle

I'm afraid I disagree. Firstly bricks aren't stone, so saying stone forts were obsolete is inaccurate.
It is true that 'brick battleship' forts were obsolete - but that been proved during the Crimean War (and of course previous forts and castles had been destroyed by guns since the 15th Century). But even in the 1860s stone fortifications weren't completely obsolete. Instead of bricks, new forts such as those built on the Isle of Wight were made of solid granite with 5 or 10-inch thick iron armour plate, which the RMLs of the time couldn't penetrate.

Still, it is the fort that counts.

<BB<


When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You've got a point there! Perhaps those claims have been somewhat overstated. smiley - laugh

If you'd like to know how Fort Pulaski was reduced, here's a link to General Gillmore going on about it.

http://archive.org/details/officialreportto00gill/page/n5/mode/2up

Personally, I find the notion of Civil War generals on cigarette cards to be sufficiently risible to warrant including this one in the Post.


Key: Complain about this post

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery

More Conversations for Picture Quiz: General Knowledge - Answer

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more