A Conversation for Deep Thought: Of Knowing More Than One Joke

May the odds be ever in your favour

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


That reminds me of the recent discussion of the wide mouthed frog joke that survived for decades.

Sometimes you come up with an 'original' joke / pun on your own, just to find out some Smart Alec thought up the same thing ages ago.

As most entity meets other entity and they fall in love/hate/passion/dullness storylines already have been told many times, I guess the best thing to do in storytelling is to add details/information not known by everyone, showing you have done your homework or are willing to share some genuine knowledge. (especially in the early Discworld novels, I always have an idea where Sir Terry Pratchett has been to on his holidays, because you can see the parallels between fictional and real world countries)


May the odds be ever in your favour

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I think people worry too much about being 'original'. If they keep trying that it will kill them.

What you should have, when writing, is your own voice. And it should be clear. That doesn't guarantee people will listen to you - not everyone's going to like the voice - but it will be you.

But I'm fairly sure nobody on Earth could mistake the bird 'joke' for a piece of original humour. smiley - tit


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Deep Thought: Of Knowing More Than One Joke

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more