The h2g2 Post 29.01.24

0 Conversations

A crest bearing the legend The H2G2 PostA crest bearing the legend The H2G2 Post


Posted: 29th January 2024

This week's title is Is It Life, or Is It Art? Clockwise from left: A landscape full of tall, thin cactis, A chocolate gob cake with a small battery-powered candle on top, a closeup of a green gladd bottle, sunlight glinting off a frozen lake, a siskin silhouetted in a winter tree, a fanciful child's painting of St Nicholas, some striped kittens sleeping, two wheelie bins, one marked 37 and the other with a spider's web on it, an alien walking toward the camera wearing a suit, shirt, and tie of swirled colours, and - that's it, we're back to the cacti. Have a good week..

Greetings, oh reading public. I hope your week hasn't been too traumatic. For some reason, UK Researchers, who hail from the land where the weather is never boring enough that they stop talking about it, are outraged that the weather, for once, has been too interesting. According to the Prof, (and I quote), '"Our" 9th named storm since Sept' is now hitting us. Apparently? It's the 1st time a FULL amber alert has been given for the whole country?'

I am quite confused by this, as I live in a country where an 'amber alert' means a child is missing. We also tend to be a bit less proprietary about named storms, as we devoutly wish they would keep going and bother the Canadians, but I sympathise when it comes to hurricanes. I've been in a few and they can be scary.

Paigetheoracle reports from the north of Scotland: 'Loud bang on the roof at 2.30am roughly. Expect to see Miss Gulch on her bicycle, fly past the window at any moment (just watched the tornado scene in the Wizard Of Oz again).' They had wind gusts of 115 mph.

I notice that the miles come out when things are stressful. Are kilometers only for good weather?

The rest of us have been buried in snow. Except for those lucky folk who have had the foresight to head somewhere warm. And Willem, of course: he says they've had a lot of rain, which is a good thing, even if he has to towel down Sagrys the cat after he's been outside. So: weather has happened to all of us, one way or another, which is why we have such interesting photos this week. From the Canaries to the Highlands, there's a lot to appreciate.

There are other items of interest, as well: humour, cinema, a quiz, the threat of singing policepeople in a comic, a video with flowers and folk music, and a very tasty cake recipe.

Oh, yes, and ongoing novellas. I have read all the chapters and I pronounce them safe this week. Except for Robbie, who should avoid The Virgin Diary because he's ophidophobic. This week's episodes are even more exciting than before, and – surprise! – in my story, something actually happens. Well, sort of. (If you suspect this is an exercise in narrative procrastination, you're right.)

So: read, enjoy, discuss, share. Use reading as an excuse to stay in out of the bad weather. Have a great week out there, and mind how you go.


Dmitri Gheorgheni



Cover for The Building, DG's new book, available from Lulu.
You have a friend who
NEEDS THIS BOOK.
Buy it now!



Quote of the Week. I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance.

e. e. cummings

A cross-country skier in a snow-covered landscape.


February 2024 Post Challenge:
The Unbearable Whiteness
of Snow


Video Extra:
Luna Digs Snow
Click here in Ripley


NATURE WATCHING
Siskin Art

Siskin silhouetted in a winter tree, by SashaQ.

LOOKING AROUND

  • Video
  • A look back (at better weather).

THAT'S OUR STORY AND
WE'RE STICKING TO IT


Chapter 1
Ci-villa-sation, Such as
It Is (Was)

Lives of the Gheorghenis by DG.

EVERYWHERE IS EXOTIC



Mysterious Island
Gran Canaria by Milla.
SEE YOU IN THE FUNNY PAPERS
CHEZ NOUS


The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88041431

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more