A Conversation for Earth to Geldeston: Turn on the Gravity!

But not too fast

Post 1

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


Just spoke to someone last weekend who experienced firsthand how quickly an idyllic alpine stream can turn into a torrential river when the floodgates are opened higher up. Luckily nobody got hurt. Lesson: do not ignore these warnings and start a picknick on a rock in the middle of a stream with signs like these.


But not too fast

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Wow. I've just now realised that the expression 'open the floodgates' is not only metaphorical... smiley - doh


But not too fast

Post 3

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


On the other side of the spectrum: We wanted to go rafting, but there wasn't enough water in the river. It turned out the rafting companies have an agreement with the energy company to open the gates two days a week to enable white water. Unfortunately not the day we were there.


But not too fast

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - cheerup Sometime, you should try the Youghiogheny.


But not too fast

Post 5

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.


That river looks nice on the photos.
The trouble around here in Europe is that we now have too much water for rafting in the Alps, after torrential rains last week. Typically, 50mm a day is considered a lot of rain, some places got over 300mm. Mountains are very good at concentrating water in one place.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Earth to Geldeston: Turn on the Gravity!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more