House of the Morningstar: Chapter 10

0 Conversations

House of the Morningstar: Chapter 10

Abstract design with a circuit board, turret, and stars.


Work continues. I slowly start to get to see my way through this project – at least I think I do. The boss sent a message, questioning the position of the building on the plot. Gene managed to convince him that we can't tear the whole thing down and rebuild at this stage.


I saw Bill Stevenson and two of his employees at the cafeteria today. I think they are called Bob and Dave. I sat at a table nearby and didn't want to interrupt their conversation. From what I gathered the two thought they had a solution to the problem with the underground connection to our building. It actually sounded promising to me, but Bill wasn't convinced. He argued that he already tried everything and they should better solve other problems in other sections of the project. He actually got angry when they offered to go down there and have a look to see what they could do. It seems one of them got a phone call from someone higher up who was angry because there is no progress. Someone who made them quite scared. In the end, Bill shouted at them to leave him alone and that he will find a solution without them. He got up and left. The two others stayed for a while longer, talking quietly. Who knows what all this was about.

Plot divider

The blue crystal


As Elanor entered the beige office at the central police station, Harry motioned her to join him. He seemed to be excited. Harry motioned her to join him. Elanor rolled over a chair from an empty workstation and sat down.


'Guess what I've found!', Harry said and motioned on the screen, then pressed a button, which started a video. Harry leaned back and crossed his arms, watching Elanor's face.


On the screen appeared Henry Morgenstern's office, which they had searched just a few days ago. Everything was still on its place: the books were sorted in their shelves, interrupted by small figurines, frames pictures and sculptures. The room was filled by warm sunlight coming through the large window, the shadows of the leaves of the maple trees were dancing through the room. Sitting at his desk was the late Henry Morgenstern, grey hair and neatly trimmed moustache. His eyes were shining happily as he told the story of his family business. Most of this had already come up in Harry's research earlier: how his grandfather Dr Andre Morgenstern had found the secret formula for nectar and founded Star Med.


At some point Harry stopped the video and pointed at the screen, which showed a wider perspective of Henry Morgenstern's desk, which was not quite tidy. Several electronic devices and small pieces of decoration were visible.


'Here, do you see that? I searched the list we have of all objects found in the office and this definitely isn't on it. Unless Dr Morgenstern has removed it himself I think this might be what is missing,' he said.


Harry enlarged the image of something shining blue. It looked like a large glass crystal.


'I already gave Robert Morgenstern a call and he says that yes, this definitely was always there and he just didn't think of it when our people asked about it. It is also definitely gone now. The item was his father-in-law's paper weight - or at least used as one - and he had obviously inherited it from his parents or grandparents. An heirloom knick-knack, if you want', Harry reported, 'I also compared the size with the hole we found in the window and it seems to fit quite well.'


Elanor frowned,'Why would anyone go through the trouble of stealing a glass paper weight? I think we can agree that there must be something more behind this. Did you find out what it could be?'


Harry nodded, 'Well, I could not find anything quite like it anywhere, but...' he pressed a few buttons and the picture on the screen changed from Henry Morgenstern's office to a column of text with the symbol of a red circle with two white dots. We have this very old file – 121 years. A request from the police of Katastropolis to let them know if a 'blue crystal of peculiar shape' turns up anywhere. The description of shape and size seems to fit rather well. It was reported as missing, presumably stolen. Seems like the issue has never been resolved, or at least there is no further information.'


Elanor frowned at the screen. 'You think that old request has any relevance for our case?'


Harry shrugged, 'it's all I could find. Who knows? Might be an invaluable gemstone in reality? A collector's item?'


'How long has this been available?' Elanor asked.


'It was published a few months ago,' Harry answered.


'So enough time for someone to see it, and recognize the paperweight – or whatever it is – and make a plan about how to get it.' Elanor concluded.

An ornament.
Post Novella Project 2022/2023 Archive

Tavaron


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A88023224

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more